Wellness > Sex + Relationships

So You’re Single on Valentine’s Day… Here’s How NOT to be a Salty Single Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

When you’re single, it’s easy to become cynical when Valentine’s Day rolls around.  Depending on your outlook, it’s either the unnecessary glorification of something you really don’t care about, or a painful reminder of something that you want but don’t have (in my case, it’s a bit of both).  However, as a person who tries to remain positive and look on the bright side of life, I’ve found ways to embrace Valentine’s Day as a single pringle. Here are my tips on how to celebrate Valentine’s Day without becoming negative or down on yourself:

Get invested in a romantic novel or movie

If you don’t have a love story of your own, living vicariously through someone else’s is the next best thing.  I appreciate a good romance, and Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to seek them out. Whether you’re reading or watching an old favorite for the hundredth time or getting to know a new story, fictional romances (or even a feel-good romantic comedy) are a great way to get into the Valentine’s Day mindset (if you need ideas, check out this romance novel listicle that I wrote last year).  

Organize a gift exchange with friends

Valentine’s Day gifts don’t have to be extravagant, nor do they only have to come from your significant other.  You can celebrate friendship on Valentine’s Day by gifting your friends (and asking them for) inexpensive, yet thoughtful gifts like fuzzy socks or candy.  You’ll emerge from Valentine’s Day festivities feeling loved without spending a lot of money or feeling sorry about yourself.

Treat yourself

Self-care is always a good idea, and as a single person around Valentine’s Day, it could help make the holiday more bearable.  Treat yourself to something you’ve been wanting, such as that new eyeshadow palette that you’ve seen all over Instagram or that cute dress you’ve been eyeing for weeks.  Don’t blow all your money on a Valentine’s Day gift to yourself (I don’t condone overindulging), but getting yourself a little something may help you feel better if you’re dreading the day.  

Valentine’s Day, like a lot of things in this life, brings joy to as many people as it annoys the hell out of.  If you belong to the latter category, you may find it hard to remain upbeat during the holiday. You may find yourself feeling sorry for yourself or showing negativity towards your friends who are in romantic relationships.  But even if you’re super-single like I am, you don’t need to hate Valentine’s Day. There are a lot of ways to celebrate the holiday without ever needing a significant other.

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.