Saturday Night/Sunday Morning: A Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

On Thursday, Lasell freshman in the Honors Program were bused into Boston to attend a play with President Alexander. The students saw a play called, “Saturday Night/Sunday Morning,’’ written by Katori Hall, at Lyric Stage Company of Boston. The play was based on the lives of a group of African American women working in a beauty shop while they waited for the men to return from WWII. Initially, the play began as just the drama between women in a beauty shop. However, as the script unfolded and characters developed, the message of the play became about much more than just a beauty shop. The progressively written play touched on all of the tough subjects that faced the women’s lives: racism, finance, lost love, and even sexuality. Hall, an African-American woman, did an exemplary job capturing the difficulties of the time, as well as the camaraderie between the women.

The play will be showing through November 21. Tickets start at $25. If interested, call 617-585-5678, or visit the Lyric Stage website.

Freshman at Lasell College. Interested in fashion, feminism, and fearlessly pursuing my dreams.