Root: Where Veggies Rule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Are you a vegan, vegetarian or are just into that stuff? If so, there is a quaint place in Allston that will cater to your needs and leave you wanting to return. It’s called Root: inspired food and juicery. 

Now for those of you at Lasell who are vegan and vegetarian I know it can be challenging to have a meal that leaves you feeling good about what you ate and actually satisfied. Root will bring you that satisfaction you’ve been missing. 

Although it is technically a vegan restaurant their dishes can really reach out to anyone. The menu consists of salads, sandwiches, small bites, fresh-squeezed juice, and a weekend brunch. They try to source as much they can from local suppliers and prepare mainly everything in-house — even their ketchup. 

The BBQ Portabella Sandwich ($9.00) caught my eye and I ordered the Root Punch ($6.00) to wash it down. When my sandwich arrived I was immediately impressed just by looking at it and couldn’t wait to dig in. It was slathered with their house made BBQ sauce and topped with a medley of red cabbage slaw, pickled carrots, crispy onions, and finished with the house aioli all wedged between a locally made bun. 

The flavors all worked great together — the crunchy slaw and carrots complemented the tender portabella mushroom and the BBQ sauce had just the right amount of sweet and smokey. I warn you this is a messy sandwich and the bun did get a little soggy — I ditched it halfway through. 

This sandwich came with their herbed fries and their ketchup to dip. The difference between bottled ketchup and freshly made is exceptional. I may need to start making my own! As for the Root Punch, this was made from beets, apples, and carrots. Not one of the ingredients overpowered each other, with each sip I could pull the taste of beets, apples, and carrots. 

On top of great food and drink, Root’s atmosphere vibes well with their convictions. The decor has a organic feel to it; their seating consists of simply made wood benches and copper tables that line the walls and bar type seating in front of the windows. 

For the meat-eaters out there, don’t shy away from this eatery because it is vegan. I promise you the menu is approachable and you may end up trying and loving something you have never had before. 

Root. 487 Cambridge St., Allston. rootboston.com

Aspiring food journalist and self-proclaimed "foodie" from New Hampshire living in Allston, Massachusetts. I am in my senior year at Lasell College.