This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Firefly Lane was released on February 3rd as a Netflix original. The series is based on the best-selling book Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah and follows a heartfelt story of friendship between two women in their 40. The series has been getting a lot of critiques and bad reviews with critics calling it a “sickly sweet”  and disastrous show. But is Firefly Lane really as bad as they are saying?

I am calling all lovers of a good chick flick to come and watch this tv series. It gives off major rom-com vibes and lot is a lot lighter than most Netflix series. If you’ve been in the mood for something light and gives off a sense of nostalgia I highly suggest this series. This is one of those wholesome series about a growing friendship between two friends from their teens into their 40s. It tells the story of two women and the trials and tribulations they go on in their lives. The pair is a stark contrast from each other with cool-girl Tully and “good girl” Kate, and the actresses are phenomenal. You can’t help but fall in love with the characters and want to watch them on their journey.

Many people have been complaining about the multiple timelines in the story as it whizzes from the 70s to the early 2000s on and off throughout the episodes. However, I really enjoyed the multiple timelines in the series and how each flashback connected to something happening in the present time. For an observant viewer, there should be no confusion with the timeline or the plot. I think the timeline just adds to the charm of the show. 

If you have been looking for a new soap to watch on Netflix, Firefly Lane is a much watch. This is the next best guilty pleasure. 

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.