This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Reality television has been the backbone of pop culture in the last decade. Keeping up with the Kardashians, The Bachelor, and American Idol have shaped a new generation. The new generation has also gained sexual liberation with new thinking towards sex and relationships. Hook-up culture promotes sex without being in committed relationships. It has popularized one-night stands and friends with benefits. Dating-based reality shows have had an impact on modern hook-up culture by actively representing sexual liberation. 

Dating reality shows often focus on female perspectives to appeal to their female audiences. The Bachelorette’s 2021 lead, Katie Thurston, was promoted in advertisements as a sex-positive lead. During her time on The Bachelor, she was known as the “vibrator girl” after showing up on night one with her vibrator. Additionally, on her season, she was unafraid to admit when she had sex in the fantasy suites. In the Netflix reality show, Love is Blind, contestant Giannina was unhappy in her sex life with her new fiance. Instead of ignoring the issue, she brought it up to her partner. It became a huge storyline of the season. In Too Hot To Handle, there is a workshop where the women are taught to appreciate their “yoni” aka their vagina, through examination and artistic representation. 

As shown, there has been great messaging for women to reclaim their sexuality in reality television. Slut-shaming still happens to be a common practice against women speaking about their sex lives. In the past, it was very taboo and not spoken about on national television. There is also a double standard between men and women towards purity and casual sex. Men are often praised for having a high body count, while a woman would be judged. In recent years, reality television has showcased many stories that highlight female sex-positive stories. As sex is normalized in popular culture, it becomes normalized to participate in hook-up culture.

Despite the benefits of representing sexual liberation for women, negative consequences can arise promoting hook-up culture. It is often forgotten that reality television is not actually real. Producers have the power to manipulate any storyline, cast member, or message. The skewed portrayal of commitment on these shows can be harmful to audiences looking to find a meaningful relationship. The promotion of hook-up culture to audiences influences many to participate, which can be harmful. Consequences can include negative, unregulated emotions. Additionally, sexual violence, STIs, and unintended pregnancy can be possible. 

Reality television has given much representation to modern hook-up culture. Although promoting sexual liberation and an end to double standards is a triumph, reality television often falls short of showing the consequences of hook-up culture. The fake reality presented by reality television can lead to false expectations for audiences. 

Isabelle is a Sophmore Elementary Education major at Lasell! She also is working towards her minor in History. On campus, Isabelle is involved in HerCampus, Habitat for Humanity, Tomorrow's Teachers, and Empty Bowls. Her hobbies include yoga, listening to Taylor Swift, and thrifting!