Pretties for Your Face: An Ethical Step Out of Your Comfort Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The ethics of clothing and makeup brands have been a hot topic for a few years.  As people have become more socially conscious, they’ve been looking for clothing and makeup brands that don’t test on animals, utilize child labor, or are made in sweatshops.  Luckily, there are a number of clothing and makeup brands stepping up to the plate and producing “ethical” products. I recently discovered Pretties for Your Face, a small business based in Bridgewater, Mass., that makes cruelty-free, all-natural, mostly vegan cosmetics.  They carry a wide range of products, from bath bombs to lip scrubs, but what I was most drawn to were their fun eyeshadow palettes inspired by popular and classic TV shows, movies, and Broadway musicals. After a lot of contemplation, I decided to make my first purchase: the Not Throwing Away My Shot eyeshadow palette and the Cherry Berry Lip Scrub.  

My items took nearly a week to arrive, which was longer than I had hoped, but I decided to give PFYF the benefit of the doubt and assume it was just because they had to make the products.  I also received a sample of their Brown Sugared Fig soap and a handwritten note from the owner, which was a nice touch.

The theme is what persuaded me to buy the Not Throwing Away My Shot eyeshadow palette (I love Broadway musicals, and this palette is inspired by Hamilton).  It’s also one of the company’s top sellers, and it has a 5-star rating, so I had pretty high expectations for this palette.  

Suffice to say, Pretties for Your Face did not let me down.  Initially, I was shocked (and slightly disappointed) at the small size of the palette, which looked so much bigger in the stock photos. Regardless, I’m fairly confident this palette will last me long enough to be worth the money.  The eyeshadows are heavily pigmented, so a little goes a long way. Don’t let their rich coloring fool you, though-the shadows come off easily with makeup removing wipes. For the best look, I suggest first prepping your eyelids with a primer, and then applying the shadow of your choice in single strokes.  

Prettiesforyourface.com

Another popular item from Pretties for Your Face are lip scrubs, intended to exfoliate and soften the lips.  They come in a variety of yummy flavors, including cotton candy, peppermint, and cherry berry, which is the one I purchased.  

I’d never done a lip scrub before, but now I’m hooked.  While the scrub (which has a salt-like texture) felt a little weird on my lips while it was working its magic, it didn’t taste bad at all, and since it’s all-natural, you don’t need to panic if a few flecks end up in your mouth.  After wiping the scrub off with a damp washcloth, I applied some lip balm and my lips felt so soft. I’d be willing to have that weird tingling sensation for two minutes every day if it meant softer, fuller lips.

My favorite thing about this brand, though, is that they give you a 100 percent ethical way to step out of your comfort zone.  The Not Throwing Away My Shot eyeshadow palette had me trying out shades I’d never think to buy for myself, such as sparkly navy and matte red.  The Cherry Berry Lip Scrub introduced me to the miracle worker that is lip scrubs. In a lot of ways, PFYF is of higher quality than many more mainstream makeup companies.  Everything, from the handwritten note to the secure snap closure on the eyeshadow palette to the all-natural ingredients, are proof of their attention to detail. If you’re a conscious consumer who’s tired of the same old makeup looks, Pretties for Your Face is the brand for you.

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.