Life > High School

Pandemic Essentials for Going to School (Besides a Mask, Of Course

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

There is no doubt in anybody’s mind that this school year will be different from all previous ones.  Even if campuses nationwide are beginning to reopen, it doesn’t come without its caveats.  Most of us are doing some combination of online and in-person classes, we have to maintain physical distance from our friends and classmates, and, of course, we need to wear masks.  With a different kind of school year comes a different kind of supply list, and here are the items that I imagine will be my lifesavers in the coming months:

Hand sanitizer

Given the current climate, most colleges will have hand-sanitizing stations strategically placed throughout campus, but it’s still a good idea to have some of your own on hand.  The stations are going to be used by hundreds of people, so them running out of sanitizer is inevitable.  If you keep a small bottle in your bag, you’ll be ready for whatever life wants to throw at you, regardless if the sanitizing station has been refilled yet or not.

Strawberry Pound Cake PocketBac Hand Sanitizer, 5-pack, $8, bathandbodyworks.com

Face wipes

Masks are a necessity, but there’s no denying that it can get sweaty and stuffy under there.  Honestly, it’s no wonder that many people are seeing a resurgence or increase in acne since mask mandates have been implemented.  If you have to wear a mask for long periods of time (and let’s face it, most of us are), consider getting yourself some face wipes and freshening up every few hours.  Your skin will thank you.

Yes To Watermelon Super Fresh Facial Wipes, $5.99, target.com

A bag to put your mask in

Should you ever take your mask off (to eat, for example), you’ll need to put it somewhere, and directly on the table in a common area of campus, isn’t it!  That’s why I advise getting a small bag to put your mask in during these times.  Some masks come in a resealable bag, so you can always use that, but even a Ziploc baggie should work fine.

Sandwich storage bags, $3.49, target.com

A sufficient supply of writing utensils

We’ve all been there.  You get to class only to realize that you have no pencils, or that your pen died, and you have to hope that a classmate will have mercy on you and lend you one.  But since we’re living with a virus that can spread through surface contact, this is hardly the time to be using other people’s pens.  Just stock up on pens and pencils and make sure you always have one handy.

BIC Velocity Ballpoint Pen, Bold Point, 1.6mm, Blue Ink, 4/Pack, $4.08, staples.com

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.