Opposing J-Law

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Before I get started, I must say that I do adore Jennifer Lawrence as an actress as well as an overall human being (as if I actually have a personal relationship with her). However, based on her recent statement addressing the leaking of her private photographs, Lawrence has no one to be mad at other than herself.  

“Every single thing that I tried to write made me cry or get angry. I started to write an apology, but I don’t have anything to say I’m sorry for. I was in a loving, healthy, great relationship for four years. It was long distance, and either your boyfriend is going to look at porn or he’s going to look at you,” Lawrence told Vanity Fair as part of her statement. 

Yes, I get that it’s 2014 and times are changing, however, Lawrence knew exactly what she was getting herself into the moment she sent that picture to her boyfriend.  Celebrities having their private photos leaked is something that has been happening for years. What makes JLaw think she is exempt from this trend? She should have known that the moment she sent those pictures that she’d have no power or control over where they ended up. 

I personally think that in the United States, pop-culture is exposed to so much that these naked photos aren’t even that big of a deal. Maybe, like, twenty years ago people would have cared about this young starlet having naked pictures of her leaked, but today we see sex everywhere we look. If you remember at last years VMA award ceremony, Miley Cyrus was twerking her booty and acting raunchy all over the stage while wearing practically nothing. I am not saying that JLaw should not feel victimized, I just think that a leaked photo isn’t that big of a scandal nowadays. 

This is a tragic violation of anyone’s privacy. It is extremely unfortunate what has happened to Jennifer Lawerence and the rest of these celebrities who had been cheated by these mentally disturbed hackers.

Lasell College '17Pop culture obessed nut case