Old, New, Latest and Greatest Films With Emalee: Ever After

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Welcome to our weekly movie reviews with our writer and President, Emalee, where we are going to review the classics and the latest and greatest in film. So grab for popcorn and let’s see if this movie is worth going to go see. Do not worry there will be *no spoilers* in this article.

This week’s up for review is Ever After. 

This week we are reviewing a classic that I did not happen to see until recently, Ever After. This movie was released on July 31, 1998, and was directed by Andy Tennant. You might recognize the famous Drew Barrymore and already know that the movie is a great one. This movie tells the classic story of Cinderella but in renaissance times. Even though it is not based on a true story it does make some historical references and has great historical renaissance period costume. Barrymore plays Danielle, or “Cinderella.” The movie starts out with Danielle as a child, she never knew her mother but got to adore her father. Her father was wealthy, enjoyed reading to Danielle, and let Danielle be a kid. However, he marries what ends up being an “evil stepmother, Rodmilla, and shortly after passed away and leaves all the money to the stepmother. Of course, there are two evil stepsisters, Marguerite and Jacqueline. Danielle is forced to become one of their peasants. Around the time that they are all 18, Prince Henry of France is being forced to marry someone, so he can become King. The stepmother is very much pushing for Marguerite, who she thinks is the prettiest to marry the prince and is not giving Danielle or Jacqueline a chance. However, Danielle and Prince Henry end up meeting in a very unexpected way and he seeks after her. However, he does not know that Danielle is a peasant. The three sisters end up attending the ball, and the stepmother exposes Danielle as a peasant. Prince Henry feels betrayed and chooses someone else and the stepmother ends up selling Danielle to a wicked man for money. However, if you have seen any version of Cinderella I am sure you know the ending of the movie. Prince Henry saves the day and they live happily ever after. Stayed tuned for another movie review next week to see what movie you should see next!

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.