Oh No Mr. President!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

This past week, the world went into mourning for Nelson Mandela, a man who touched and changed the lives of many and was respected by even more. His memorial service in Johannesburg, South Africa was hosted on December 10 and attended by many world leaders who wished to pay their respects. However, President Obama was paying attention to anything but respects at the service. He and the Prime Ministers of Britain and Denmark were seen snapping selfies at the event with an icy looking First Lady next to them. As the trio posed cheerfully together, the First Lady stared ahead with an extremely annoyed look on her face. Some may think it’s because of how chummy the president was getting with the pretty Prime Minister of Denmark but many others see the look was caused by her husband’s extremely immature behavior. 

Selfies are fine at parties and other cheerful occasions but at matters of state and even worse, matters of goodbyes, they should not be taken. Three leaders of three different countries should have more poise and eloquence than that of a fifteen year old whipping out their smart phones to take a selfie at the most inopportune moment. They are the face for their respective country and unfortunately, President Obama showed the immature, social media addicted side of the United States yesterday. Since, these photos have gone viral on the web and most likely on the way home, the First Lady had a stern talk with her husband.

Caitlin is currently the Campus Correspondent for Lasell College and is anticipating graduation in 2015 from Lasell College with a B.A in communications. She is majoring in communications with a focus in journalism. When not at school she works in retail. When she isn't busy with Her Campus or school work, she enjoys archery, reading, shopping (with an addiction to shoes), and exploring as much as possible. Her favorite books include the whole Harry Potter series, any mystery/ thriller novel, and historical fiction.