No More Clowning Around: Campus Safety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In light of Monday night’s events concerning the “Clown Invasion” at college campuses all over New England, it is important to review safety procedures. Panic erupted around 9:30pm last night when rumors as well as reports of upwards of ten schools in Massachusetts and New Hampshire went on lockdown. This includes the University of New Hampshire and a shelter in place and evacuation of a dorm building at Merrimack College. Whether these were just cases of ‘the boy who cried wolf’ or legitimate threats to students safety, it is vital that all students know what their resources are and have an overview of all emergency safety procedures.

First things first:

Sign up for your campus Emergency Alert System. These systems will automatically send out text messages and emails directly from campus police. To sign up go to MyLasell, and on the right hand side located under the campus police tab click on Emergency Notification System, once you’re there click “subscribe” on the right hand side and fill out the necessary information. Should you feel uncomfortable signing up for these services, you can visit the Lasell College Emergency Website- www.lasellemergency.com, which is kept up to date with all notifications. Either way, it is important to stay informed from reliable sources.

Lockdown Procedures:

When you receive an official lockdown alert it is critical that you seek shelter immediately. Get to the nearest secure building. Once inside, lock all doors and windows, close the shades, barricade the doors (push your desk in front of your door) and turn off all lights. When sheltering, stay low and away from all entrances and windows, staying out of view of the outside and all hallways. You should not attempt to leave your secure area or open any interior or exterior doors unless given an “all clear” or are instructed to do so by police officials.

Important things to remember during a lockdown drill:

1. Turn your cell phone to silent or vibrate immediately. Cell phone use, such as texting and social media, is discouraged unless you are making a call to campus police. Rumors spread in times of crisis; avoid fueling the fire by avoiding your phone.

2. Speaking of fire, should a fire alarm be pulled during a lockdown DO NOT leave your secured area unless you smell smoke or see fire. Additionally you should not pull a fire alarm during a lockdown, this could add to the panic and put others in harms way.

3. Your key card may not work during a lockdown.  Do not panic. All doors can be opened from the inside, if you cannot gain access to a secure building hide behind the nearest secure object and notify campus police of your location when it is safe to do so.

4. This may seem obvious but when in any emergency situation, stay inside unless told to evacuate by police. Needless to say last night’s social media frenzy of “Clown Hunting”—students running around campus in packs making excessive noises, drawing attention to themselves while looking for clowns and recording it on social media— is a fantastic way to put yourself and others in danger.

5. That being said, should you be outside and see a suspicious figure or person do not hesitate to report your concern to campus police. Dispatch is available 24/7 for you to call – their contact information is readily available on the back of your ID should you feel the need to call. Additionally, emergency phones are located all over campus in the blue poles, just push the button to be immediately connected to dispatch.

You may have learned these procedures at orientation but it is important to know what to do when it isn’t just a drill. For more information and action plans attend the next active shooter seminar on campus. All procedures and resources can be found on the Lasell College website under Campus Police on the Campus Life tab.

Corinne is an associate on the integrated marketing team at Her Campus. She graduated with a degree in Fashion Communication & Promotions major from Lasell College in August 2018. Before joining the team full time she served as staff writer, social media manager, president and co-campus correspondent of her chapter over her three years at Lasell. Corinne is passionate about sustainable fashion and fashion show production, and served as College Fashion Week Intern for two years. In her free time she enjoys exploring new museums, going to concerts and traveling to new cities.