My Super Sweet 16’s Reboot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

At the beginning of the year, it was announced that MTV’s iconic My Super Sweet 16 would be returning to television sets around the world. The show originally ran from 2005-2008; however MTV occasionally ran special episodes of it, the most recent being Lil’ Wayne’s daughter Reginae’s Sweet 16, which aired in January 2015. Along with giving us a glimpse into the lives of middle America’s richest teens, it also featured some of our favorite celebrities such as Aly and AJ and Sean Kingston. On April 25, MTV premiered the first trailer of the reboot, which is scheduled to air May 14 at 7/6 c. 

This time around it’s not just the big 1-6 that’s gonna get all the attention. While the original series gave us the occasional Quinceañera, it appears that there will be a bigger spotlight on other coming-of-age events, including Bar Mitzvahs and Debutante balls. With a new focus comes new age requirements. This time, children as young as 13 can audition. Now tweeny-boppers can use their favorite app, Musical.ly, with the hashtag #MySuperSweetAudition to audition for the show. 

Musical.ly is an app favored by the 13-16-year-old market, where they can lip sync and somehow gain D-list internet fame. This is the first time MTV has ever partnered with a mobile app to host auditions. If you’ve seen the kids on Musical.ly, than you know that the reboot will definitely be interesting. 

Considering how times have changed, we can’t wait to see what will happen on My Super Sweet 16’s reboot. It is pretty clear there will be a stronger emphasis on social media platforms such as Instagram, Snapchat and Musical.ly. Also, what kind of extravagant presents will these children get if they aren’t even old enough for a learner’s permit? It looks like we’ll have to tune in to find out. 

*All gifs from giphy.com

Raegan Cleary is a senior at Lasell College studying Fashion Communication and Promotion. She likes French Bulldogs and long walks to Chipotle. In addition to Her Campus shes been doing theatre for eight years and this spring she'll be in her fourth production of Vagina Monologues. In the future she'd love to become the next Miranda Priestly or the frontwoman in a girl-punk band.