My Favorite thanksgiving dessert recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

There is always a discussion as to which Thanksgiving food reigns as the best, but there is no argument; there needs to be a good dessert. While the traditional dessert related to Thanksgiving is pumpkin pie, there are lots of other great options to either substitute or add on. All of these recipes are ones that I have made around the holidays, so they are all tried and true, and I’m excited to be able to share them!

1. Pumpkin Pie

Okay, I know I just said there were lots of other great dessert options. However, pumpkin pie is still traditional for a reason! For this recipe, start with a large bowl, and combine the following ingredients: 1 can pumpkin (pumpkin puree, not premade pie mix), ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon cloves. After combining, add 4 eggs and beat lightly, then gradually add 1 ½ cup half and half and stir until combined. Next, place a premade pie crust in the oven. This crust does not need to be in a pan, but it might be a good idea to keep it on a baking sheet in case it overflows. Slowly pour the mixture in. Doing this inside the oven helps with stability, as the mixture is very liquidy and fills up the pie shell. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line the edges with foil, then bake for 20 minutes. Take the foil off, and bake for another 25-30 minutes. Check if the pie is done by inserting a knife in the middle, it should come back out clean.

1. Apple Cider Gingersnap Cookies

I tend to think of apple cider as a traditional fall flavor, and gingerbread as traditionally winter. This makes this recipe a perfect bridge between the two seasons. Start by preheating the oven to 350℉, then beat together ½ cup room temperature butter and 1 cup sugar. Once this mixture is light and fluffy, add in ¼ cup applesauce, ¼ cup apple cider, ¼ cup molasses, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla, until all ingredients are combined. Set this mixture aside, and whisk together the dry ingredients: 2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon ground cloves, and ½ teaspoon salt. Add these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then cover the mixture to put in the fridge, anywhere from at least 2 hours to overnight. Line baking sheets with either parchment paper or Silpat mats. Scoop tablespoon-sized balls and roll them in sugar, and then place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, then take out to cool.

1. Pumpkin Cheesecake

This fall take on a classic cheesecake is a perfect Thanksgiving version of a familiar favorite. This recipe includes two parts: crust and filling. 

• For the crust: Mix ¾ cup flour, 6 tablespoons brown sugar, and ¼ tsp salt. Add ¾ stick butter and mix, then add in 1 tablespoon cold water, and mix until clumps form. Add in ½ cup of finely chopped pecans and knead the dough. Butter a 9-inch cheesecake pan and press the dough on the bottom and the sides. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and then line the crust with foil and either use pie weights or fill with beans for weight. At 375°F, bake for 10 minutes, then remove the weight and foil, and bake for another 10 minutes.

For the filling: Start by beating 8 oz of cream cheese and 6 tablespoons of sour cream until smooth. Gradually add ½ cup of sugar until mixed, then add in 2 large eggs, one at a time. Take ⅓ cup of this mixture, and set it aside. To the large remainder of the mixture, add 1 cup pumpkin puree, ¾ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ tsp ground ginger, and ⅛ tsp cloves, then beat until blended. Pour filling into the crust, and then take the cheesecake mixture that was set aside and drop dollops across the top. Then, taking a knife, swirl the cheesecake mixture throughout the pie mixture. With the oven still at 375℉, bake for about 30 minutes until the filling is firm. A tip to avoid cracking: either bake in a water bath or add ramekins filled with water into the oven while baking.

Kyra is a senior at Lasell University and is an elementary education major. She loves to hike, bake, and work with her students at daycare.