Career > Her20s

My Favorite Books I Recommend You Read ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Here is a list of my favorite books that have had a huge impact on me. These books come from a wide variety of genres so I hope you find something you like! The next time you’re at your favorite bookstore or library pick one of these up…

1. Their Eyes Were Watching God

A book that should be a classic already. The novel was published in 1937 by Zora Neale Hurston. It is an underrated feminist novel about Janie, as she grows up and survives toxic marriages moving around the country. She is a great protagonist that makes the book super enjoyable. The novel employs wonderful symbolism making it all the more powerful. 

2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

If you have not read Harry Potter by now, it is time to start. In my opinion, the best book in the series is the third, the Prisoner of Azkaban. It is beautifully written and the movie is a great adaptation. 

3. The Things They Carried

Every time I read this book I sob. It gave me a completely different perspective of the Vietnam War. I had only learned about the war in history class because of the controversy it caused in the United States. I never thought to listen to the stories of the soldiers, who experienced it first hand. Tim O’Brien narrates his experience in the Vietnam War in a powerful manner. The real emotions he felt translate through his book and it is stunning. 

4. The Handmaid’s Tale

The Margaret Atwood novel has been gaining much-deserved popularity due to the Hulu show adaptation. It is a thrilling novel set in a dystopian America, Gilead. Gilead takes all the rights away from women, they are prohibited from reading, writing, and using their voices. The men take total control. At the bottom of the social hierarchy sits the “Handmaids”. They are raped once a month during ovulation to provide children to infertile powerful couples. The novel follows “Offred”, a handmaid for a powerful commander and his wife.

5. The Hating Game

The perfect enemies to a lovers romance book. It is a much happier option than the other books recommended, but it is amazingly written. Lucy works in an office alongside Josh. They have had issues with HR on many occasions because they hate each other. As they chase a new promotion, they slowly start developing new feelings. It is the cutest book that is addictive until you finish it. 

Isabelle is a Sophmore Elementary Education major at Lasell! She also is working towards her minor in History. On campus, Isabelle is involved in HerCampus, Habitat for Humanity, Tomorrow's Teachers, and Empty Bowls. Her hobbies include yoga, listening to Taylor Swift, and thrifting!