Style > Beauty

My Experience with caring for new piercings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

For a long time, piercings have been a way for a person to express themselves. Whether it’s ear piercings, facial piercings, body piercings, etc. They’re a body modification that is easy to personalize, without being as permanent as tattoos. While some piercings may be more painful than others, the overall healing process is usually the same. 

When the time comes for me to begin caring for new piercings, I’ve had a few experiences that I want to share.

Sleeping On A New Piercing 

When I got my second piercing, I didn’t know a lot about piercing care. I remember the first night I slept on my piercing; I woke up to it bleeding and the swelling had doubled in size. After that, I learned it’s definitely not a good idea for me to sleep on a piercing. 

First Time At A Tattoo Parlor

For my first 4 piercings, I went to Claire’s. At Claire’s, they use piercing guns, which I later learned damage your ears. I learned when for my 4th piercing I got a cartilage piercing. The healing process was awful; my ear was swollen for weeks and it got infected. I learned that piercing guns can shatter cartilage, which is exactly what happened to me. 

Asking A Piercer For Their Recommended Saline Solution

My first professional piercing was at my fathers tattoo shop. I remember being super excited, because I had never been in a tattoo parlor before. After getting my piercing, I wanted to have the most successful aftercare. So, I went up to my piercer and asked him for his recommended saline solution. This turned out to be a great decision, because he showed me the solution they offer and my piercing healed great.

Using The Saline Solution For The Recommended Time

Before I started going to a professional, I wasn’t very good at piercing care. I never followed the cleaning instructions or the proper amount of cleaning time. After I went to a proper piercer, I learned that it’s best to clean your ear for the proper amount of time. Once I started doing that, my ear healed a lot quicker and healthier. 

Testing Out Alcohol Wipes 

Around my 5th piercing, I tried out alcohol wipes. I was super nervous about using them, because I knew they could damage my ear if used at the wrong time. I waited until my ear was properly healed, about 6 weeks after I got my piercing, and then used an alcohol wipe. As it turned out, it actually helped keep my piercing clean once it was healed. I only do this once it’s healed, never while it’s still healing.

These are some of the experiences I’ve had while taking care of any new piercings. It was a lot of trial and error, but now I have a pretty good routine.

Jade Durkee

Lasell '25

Hi! I'm Jade Durkee, I'm a junior Psychology major at Lasell University. I'm from Hopatcong, New Jersey. I love reading, video games, crocheting, and playing piano.