The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Halloween movies don’t have to be scary, but they add a lot of fun to the season. The variety of movies I love ranges, but most of my favorites are from my childhood. These movies are my favorites, and I will always use these as my go-to movies during the seasons. These are my favorites based on my own criteria and are strictly my own opinions. They aren’t listed in any particular order, but keep reading to find out what my all-time favorite Halloween movies are:

Scary Godmother (2003)

This, in my opinion, is the most underrated Halloween movie ever. Probably my favorite strictly on nostalgia, but it is the first Halloween movie I put on every year. It is an animated Halloween comedy movie that was made in 2003 (so take that into mind when considering the quality). The main character is named Hannah, who, while trick-or-treating with her older cousin Jimmy and his group of friends, is dared to go into a scary house. Jimmy decides to ditch Hannah in the basement, where she gets saved by Scary Godmother, who invites her to a Halloween party. 

Hocus Pocus (the original – 1993)

Hocus Pocus is probably one of the most known Halloween movies to Generation Z. The movie mainly follows a teenage boy named Max, his little sister Dani, and his crush Allison. Max makes the mistake of awakening three villainous witches on Halloween night, who were executed in the 17th century, by lighting the Black Flame Candle. 

Monster House (2006)

This movie still gives me nightmares. It is an animated haunted house film that depicts a neighborhood terrorized by a crotchety old man and his haunted house. When three kids find out that their neighbor’s house is a monster and no one believes them, they decide to uncover the mystery of the house by going inside.

The Addams Family (the original – 1991)

The Addams Family is a classic Halloween movie. Based on an unusual family who reconnects with who they thought was Gomez’s long-lost brother, but was actually someone attempting to take away the family’s vast wealth. The family is quite grim, but the dark comedy brings the movie into a whole different light.

Halloweentown (1998)

Oh, how wonderful it is to have another not-so-spooky Halloween movie. When Marnie Piper finds out she is a witch, it begins all types of fun for her, or so she thought. Marnie and her siblings Dylan and Sophie begin their adventures in Halloweentown. Their grandmother, Aggie, wants to start teaching Marnie how to use her powers before she loses them forever. However, she is also visiting because something awful is happening in Halloweentown, and she knows Marnie and Dylan could help. So, she takes them to Halloweentown to help her defeat the darkness.

Us (2019)

This movie freaked me out and kept me from looking in the mirror at night for months. It begins on a family beach vacation. Everything begins to turn when their doppelgangers show up to harm them. One family after the next shows these dark duplicates attempting to take over the world.

Smile (2022)

No other way to put it, this movie freaked me out. It is a psychological horror movie that really became bizarre. The scare factor really kicks off when the main character, Dr. Rose Cotter, experiences a traumatic occurrence with a patient. With no way to explain what is going on, she is forced to attempt to figure it out alone. This sends her down the rabbit hole of even more traumatic evidence and a new horrifying reality, and the question of whether or not she will escape arises.

These are my old and new go-to movies during Halloween time. They are movies I know will give me spooky vibes, as well as scare the living daylights out of me. These are movies that, any time in the month of October, I watch and prepare myself for my favorite parts of the spooky season. 

Carley Ellis

Lasell '26

Carley is a member and events director of HerCampus, she is a forensic science major in her sophomore year at Lasell University. She is also a member of other clubs on campus such as the Forensic Science Association. In her spare time she likes to read, play video games, and pick up new hobbies such as doing her own nails.