This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

French Artist, Henri Mattise, once said, “Creativity takes courage”. Being born and raised in Boston, MA, I am a proud Bostonian. Since kindergarten I’ve been going to museums all over the city. Art and creativity is constantly evolving and being able to view artists’ creations and understand their vision is very intriguing. The ongoing pandemic hasn’t ruined just one person’s plans for the day but many. As museums begin to reopen and allow visitors to enter, I decided to make a list of my most recommended museums to visit in Boston. 

1. Museum Of Fine Arts: I have visited the MFA many times and each time I find a new exhibit/ art piece that I didn’t see before. From floor to ceiling there are many art pieces to look at. It is located one stop after North Eastern on the green line in the Fenway/ Kenmore district. The Museum of Fine Arts has a wide variety of paintings, etc. from known painters like Vincent Van Gogh and many more. 

2. The Institute Of Contemporary Art (ICA Boston): I’ve visited the ICA a few times over the years. Most recently, I decided to revisit the ICA last summer during the pandemic with my friend. I really liked the modern exhibits, art paintings, etc. Also, the ICA is in the Seaport District (very close to Southie) of Boston which is really nice. You can also get a great view of the waterfront from ICA’s glass wall located on the second floor. I have friends that used to work at the ICA and everyone has nothing but positive things to say. 

3. Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum: Since the eighth grade I’ve always liked to go to the Isabella Gardner Museum. The skylight courtyard is absolutely gorgeous! It has very calm and quiet vibes about it. The museum was once Gaardners home, filled with European, American, and Asian art/ furniture which everyone is welcome to observe. The museum is closely located near the MFA in the Longwood Medical Area. 

4. Harvard Art Museums: The Harvard Art Museums are a really great visit if you’re interested in viewing American and European Art from the Middle Ages to the present day. The museum is located at Harvard University in Cambridge. 

5. Harvard Natural History Museums: The Harvard Natural History Museums are full of science and culture exhibits. Many people mention checking out the dinosaur skeletal exhibits, the glass flower exhibit, and Nabakov’s butterfly collection. The museum is an 8-minute walk through the Harvard Yard from the Harvard Square T Station.

6. John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum: I am from Dorchester therefore the JFK Library and Museum near BCH was nothing new to me. It is located right next to Umass Boston. You can enjoy the harbor view on the Umass Harbor Walk on the way to the Museum. The museum features many historic artifacts and other objects from JFK’s time. If you like history and politics then you will most likely enjoy your time at the JFK Presidential Library and Museum. 

7. Museum Of Science: The Museum Of Science always takes me back to my memories of middle school field trips as a young child excited to see the garden filled with butterflies, the large dinosaur exhibits, the exhibits of the human anatomy, a live animal care center, and many other wonderful exhibits. It is definitely something to check no matter if you’re 10 or 20 years old. The Museum Of Science is set on the Charles River close to the green line.

8. The Paul S. Russell, MD Museum Of Medical History and Innovation: I am a fan of all medical, health, and anatomy-related museums because I always learn something new and am able to see how much we’ve evolved in the medical world. It is a small museum that features some medical history, innovation, and the 200-year evolution of health care. The museum is named in honor of Paul S. Russell, MD, a renowned MGH surgeon, and it is located at the Massachusetts General Hospital complex. 

9. The Mapparium: I visited The Mapparium a few summers ago with my friend from high school. The museum is more like a one-room space which is an exhibit in itself and the main attraction located in the Mary Baker Eddy Library in the Back Bay area. The Mapparium is known to be the “Globe Room” or the “Glass Room” – a room you walk into which is an all-around sphere-like-shaped globe full of color. The room is very small and no pictures are allowed. I wouldn’t recommend visiting this museum during the pandemic because it may be hard to maintain the 6 feet social distance from others but I would definitely visit once health officials state that it is safe again and there’s no need to continue the Covid-19 protocols.

Boston, MA Julia Ramza is a sophomore majoring in Psychology and Biology on the premed track. Following in her grandfathers footsteps, she is focused on going to medical school and getting her PhD. Outside of academics she is the SGA Senator of the Academic Affairs Committee, President of the LEAF Club and a proud member of the Honors Student Council, Health Professions Club, Psi Chi Club and the Psychology Club. When she isn’t doing research and studying till the AM, she loves to get coffee and drive to the beach with her friends and family.