MLB: World Series Preview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The World Series is set. The Cleveland Indians will host the Chicago Cubs in game one of the World Series tonight, October 25. The Indians have not won a World Series since 1948, the longest drought in the American League. The Cubs have not won a World Series since 1908, the longest drought in the National League. One of those droughts will end this year. And for Cleveland, the city which suffered through so much with sports, could get their second championship in the year 2016.

The Cubs have been the best team all season long. They went 103-58 this season. Everyone knew they would have the offense with Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Javy Baez, and Addison Russell leading the way. But no one expected them to get the production in their rotation like they did. They led the majors in staff ERA, and have the two frontrunners for National League Cy Young award with Kyle Hendricks and Jon Lester. Javy Baez has always had the talent, and he is showcasing it all in the postseason on the national stage. Baez is hitting .342 so far in the postseason, and this has sort of been his coming out party. And it’s possible for the World Series that Kyle Schwarber can come back and be a DH or just a pinch hitter off the bench, something no one expected to see after he tore his ACL in the first week of the season. Schwarber could be a big boost for an already great lineup.

As for the Indians, they finished the season at 94-67 and then cruised through the postseason to make it to the World Series. They swept the Red Sox in the ALDS and then beat the Blue Jays in five games in the ALCS. They’ve had to deal with injuries, losing starting pitchers Danny Salazar and Carlos Carrasco, and not having outfielder Michael Brantley for basically the entire season. The Indians have a great mix of young talent and veteran players. Francisco Lindor and Tyler Naquin are their best young players and they also have veterans in Mike Napoli, Carlos Santana, and Jason Kipnis. But arguably the main reason the Indians are here right now is reliever Andrew Miller. The Indians acquired Miller from the Yankees at the trade deadline and he has been dominant for them in the postseason. He has pitched 11.2 innings, only giving up five hits, no runs, and has struck out 21 batters so far in the postseason. He could be the key for the Indians in the World Series if they are able to grab leads.

The Indians have had a great run, and they won’t be easily pushed over, but this just seems to be the Cubs’ year. They dominated all season long and when they dealt with adversity in the postseason, they responded both times, something Cubs teams in the past might not do. Expect a very good series between two very good teams.

Prediction: Cubs in game six.

Nick is a Senior Communications major with a focus in Sports Communications at Lasell College. Hailing from Pequannock, New Jersey, you can always find Nick watching some type of sports. His favorite teams include the Mets and the Jets. His other interests include listening to EDM and playing video games. His favorite outfit is his birthday suit, and his favorite pickup line is "Are you from Tennessee? Because you're the only ten-I-see."