Style

The Men’s F/W 2020 Shows You Need on Your Radar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Toxic masculinity is a thing of the past according to Fall/ Winter 2020 Men’s Fashion Week. Male models were seen strutting their stuff in skirts and dresses, decked in taffeta, and some even with daring makeup.  Fashion is seeing a change and clothing is no longer being determined by gender. Instead, newer generations are wearing whatever makes them feel good, no matter what gender it was “made” for.  This look is not *too* out of the ordinary for the runway, but slowly seeing it trickle down into a more accessible style for the everyday fashion-conscious male prompts the questions, “Is this the new wave of fashion for men? Will 2020 be the year for men’s fashion?”  We dove into the best men’s fashion week shows so far this season to see if this is the case. 

Dior Homme

There are no other words to describe this collection other than elegant and boundary-breaking. Kim Jones for Dior has a special place in my heart, but he really outdid himself with this collection. Studying the house archives, silhouettes, and embroideries of ‘50s haute couture, he made a collection that is timeless, yet still current and new.

Favorite look:

Gucci

Alessandro Michele invited his guests at his show to “revise and reconsider” the characteristics of masculinity through his latest menswear collection. Although the collection itself was rather bland for Gucci, the message really stood out.  In a post on their Instagram announcing the collection, it stated, “‘It’s time to celebrate a man who is free to practice self-determination, without social constraints, without authoritarian sanctions, without suffocating stereotypes. A man who is able to reconnect with his core of fragility, with his trembling and his tenderness…” Taking a social stand within the fashion world is not always well received so Bravo, Michele!

Favorite look:

Loewe

Jonathan Anderson imagined a world where boys could dress up freely, and he expressed just that through his latest collection. The show included three dresses that showed how universal youthfulness and playfulness go hand in hand before you’re told how you should dress depending on your gender.

Favorite look:

JW Anderson

That’s right, Jonathan Anderson made this list twice.  His work for JW Anderson featured a more nonbinary take on men’s fashion with boxy poncho-like coats, peplums, and heavy chains.  A number of his looks also included a paisley print that was carried over from his women’s collections which was a nice added touch.  Most notably was the message that he was trying to showcase throughout his show of the Wojnarowicz Burning House image raising funds for Visual AIDS

Favorite look:

Madison Paloski is a senior at Lasell University studying fashion communication and promotion and graphic design.  She is currently the Editor in Chief of her school's chapter of Her Campus, an editorial stylist for POLISHED Magazine and Founder and Creative Director of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club on her campus.  She can most likely be found with an old film camera in hand, eating Chipotle, or at any local Saver's.  Her Instagram can be found at @maddiiiooyx and other work can be found at madisonpaloski.wixsite.com/portfolio.