person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash
Style > Beauty

Looking for a Way to Recycle Your Makeup AND Help Animals? Here’s How!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In honor of Earth Day, Her Campus Lasell is committed to living sustainably not just for the one day, but every day (because the Earth is literally dying).  Where do you even begin?  This week we will be breaking down how to live sustainably in every aspect of life–  style, beauty, college life, and yes even in your relationships. So sit back, relax, and get ready to make the switch to eco-friendly.

We’ve all heard of cruelty-free and vegan makeup, but that’s not what we’re talking about today. Did you know that you mascara brushes can be recycled to help animals? While scrolling on Instagram, I found out Wands for Wildlife. This is a program that aims to collect used mascara wands, to help animals at the Appalachian Wildlife Rescue. They use old mascara wands to help remove fly eggs and larva from the animal’s fur. The mascara wands can also be used to groom animals of other things like dirt or to clean the syringes the used to feed animals. The wildlife center even uses them to help examine animals for injuries.

The Appalachian Wildlife Rescue originally started this in 2017 and has seen such a large response, they are now sending mascara wands to other animal wildlife centers. In most cases, mascara wands are thrown away, which contributes to the trash epidemic. It’s worth sending a little extra time to not only recycle the plastic but help a good cause. The wands work perfectly because of how small and close the bristles are.

If you wear mascara, make sure to send your wands in. If you don’t wear mascara then you can donate money or collect mascara wands from your friends or family who do. Before you send your mascara wands, they need to be cleaned with warm soapy water before you send them to the wildlife center. The address is Appalachian Wildlife Refuge P.O. Box 1211Skyland, North Carolina 28776.

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.