This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

As finals now creep up on us I have to step back and ponder on what the last few months have looked like for me. I’ll never shy away from the first few weeks being really tough, just as someone who has problems adjusting to change. However, I am beyond grateful that I stuck through it and am starting to enjoy my time at Lasell. As someone who finds it really tough to make friends, the beginning was hard, not being around my loved ones was something that I had a lot of trouble with. While closing the first semester, I am glad to say that I have met a few people I consider friends and a few acquaintances as well.

Taking a big step into what made me comfortable on campus is this group. HER Campus at Lasell gave me a sense of belonging. It let me meet an amazing group of people who have provided me with comfort and a feeling like I always have people who will listen when I need them. From the minute I walked through the doors into my first meeting everyone was so friendly and really made me feel welcomed somewhere on campus, which has made me realize my hope of being a part of this until I graduate and doing what the group did for me for others who struggle to find their place on campus.

I also have to say looking at my academics I am really proud of what I have learned. College is much different than high school and this is just the tip of the iceberg. It is oddly relieving that you are in charge of most of the work you do. There aren’t hours sitting in a class doing work when you don’t feel like doing it right then and there. You decide when you want to do the work if you want to go to class and when you want to have your class times. It is so nice to have a say in the classes you take and the times you take them. As well as being able to do your homework whenever you want and focus or procrastinate as much as you really want to.

More importantly than grades and workload, I learned how to manage myself. Being on my own was not something I had been completely open to – not because I wasn’t ready skill-wise, but because I didn’t know I was ready… within the first few weeks I realized I was ready, but oh were there people who were not.

My first semester of college showed me that it is nothing like books, movies, or shows. It has plenty of ups and certainly some downs, but it strengthened me as a person. Though the stress can be unbearable, finding somewhere that is comfortable for you is probably one of the most important things to do when on campus. While on or off campus knowing you have something to look forward to can really ease the stress of having a lot going on. With two weeks left of my first semester, I am taking the lessons I learned and putting my best foot forward for these upcoming semesters.

Carley Ellis

Lasell '26

Carley is a member and events director of HerCampus, she is a forensic science major in her sophomore year at Lasell University. She is also a member of other clubs on campus such as the Forensic Science Association. In her spare time she likes to read, play video games, and pick up new hobbies such as doing her own nails.