pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Letter to My Freshman Self From My Senior Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

If I were to write a letter to my freshman self, here are some things I would say.

1. Find a core group of positive, uplifting friends/roommates.

During my four years, I found this to be one of the most important aspects of college. Who you hang out with and are around constantly can really affect you. If you are around someone who never goes to class, does work, or is constantly partying, that can rub off on you from time to time. Try to find people who have the same interests and morals as you to have a positive experience.

2. GO TO CLASS.

No matter how tired you are, go to class. It is so worth it to save up absences you will need for when you are really sick, traveling, or just really need a day off. Plus, attendance does add up in most classes. Teachers do pay attention to who’s there and who’s not, so always try your best to make it to classes.

3. Get involved no matter how much you don’t want to.

You will hear this time and time again, but getting involved will help you out so much in the long run. I personally have been a part of this issue. I am not so much of a club person, but more of a sports person. I tried to be a part of some clubs, which I did not keep up with because I didn’t have the interest. I finally joined Her Campus spring semester of my junior year and I have loved it ever since. Finding a club you actually enjoy or joining a sport is a great way to get involved in college.

4. Stay positive, no matter how hard it is.

Sometimes you will go through rough patches relating to school, family life, relationships, roommate issues, etc. What’s gotten me through these issues is talking to friends and people going through the same issues. Also, hanging out with new people or people you don’t see a lot can help and show you a new perspective on things. During times of huge stress like senior year, taking time for yourself, seeing friends, and having a solid schedule for your time will help you stay positive when you feel like breaking down.

5. Put school and friends before relationships.

Too many people put their relationships before their friends in college. Everyone has been a little guilty of it, but you can’t let your relationship be the most important aspect of your college years. Too many people do this and end up losing friendships, wasting time, and missing out on a lot of experiences. You may think he/she may be the person you will be with forever, but 90 percent of the time this does not happen and friends will ALWAYS be there when a boyfriend/girlfriend isn’t anymore.

Overall, be positive, put your friends before relationships, go to class, take every opportunity, put school first, and just try your best. College is really hard and stressful at certain points in your four years, but just being around positive people and making the best of it will make it the best four years of your life.

I am a junior Fashion Merchandising student from Stamford, CT. I have been writing for Her Campus since the beginning of spring semester, and am on the field hockey team, in the mini and Undergrad fashion shows,participate in Relay for Life yearly and Lasell's Senior Citizen's Prom,  and am a peer writing tutor in the AAC. At home I work at an ice rink and am a camp counselor for kids teaching hockey lessons, which is one of my favorite sports. I like working out, writing, listening to music, and going into Boston whenever I can.