Lasell Students on Question 4

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

The time has finally come: voting. As voters go out this week, always keep in mind that you are going to have to live with everything you choose for the next four years, so be prepared!

The Massachusetts Marijuana Legalization Initiative (Question 4), will be on the ballot in Massachusetts as well as in Arizona, California, Maine and Nevada. These five states are given the choice to vote on whether to legalize marijuana or keep the law the same as it has been.

Marijuana legalization has been a topic in politics for years, and as people begin to advocate more for this law, it sends a message to the government and older generations that it is time to voice your opinion on this subject.

Voting ‘yes’ on Question 4 to legalize marijuana would create a commission to regulate marijuana, which for now is only permitted for medical purposes. Under this law, you must be 21 years old to use it, grow it, and possess it.

As Lasell students go out and vote, Question 4 has been a subject on many youthful minds. When asking multiple students how they feel about the idea, many had a similar outlook on it.

“No matter what, weed is going to be around, whether it be illegal or legal,” said freshman Olivia Oakley. Another freshman student, Rylie Smith, agreed, saying people will still use it regardless of the law.

“I would vote ‘yes’ because it is an economic benefit,” said freshman Candace Rosado. “If we look at Colorado, they have ushered in multiple new jobs because of the marijuana industry which has already made over millions of dollars. Also, if it becomes legal it will have limitations, [whereas] now it’s considered taboo so more people want to smoke. If it was legal, people would calm down about it.”

As the younger generation votes for the first time, more are encouraged to do research and make sure they are voting for the choices that will reflect on them. This especially counts for Question 4, as voters should be aware of what this new law means if it is voted yes. In some way or another, we can connect Question 4 with America’s past.

“Just like with the prohibition, people drank more for the thrill of it being illegal. Then it declined when it became legal,” said freshman Sara Nahoun. “I believe that if [marijuana] were to be legal, the usage would decline also. I don’t know why people make a big deal over it.”

Marijuana has also been seen to do great things in the medical field, which gives incentive for voters to check yes.

“I agree with this law to legalize marijuana, because too many times a year we spend money sending people to prison for marijuana. Along with that, marijuana has been proven to help with pain and illnesses,” said freshman Irish Noel. Kendall Allerton, another freshman, also would vote yes on the legalization.

“I do not smoke personally, but I see that marijuana is better for you than cigarettes, so I don’t see the issue,” Allerton said. In agreement with Allerton, her roommate Sarah Kline has the same perspective.

“I think weed should be legalized,” said Kline. “I do not smoke, but weed isn’t as harmful as alcohol or cigarettes. [However], it should be limited to the time and place when people can smoke it.”

While it seems the majority think marijuana should be voted yes on Question 4, there are many others who think otherwise for personal reasons.  An anonymous freshman student said they did not see the point of changing it when it has been illegal for so long.

“Voting ‘yes’ will just give people more of a reason to smoke and do things you wouldn’t do otherwise,” said another anonymous sophomore student. There will always be a two-way street about the idea. Marijuana has been a debate for years and continues to be a debate.

As Question 4 appears on your ballot this voting week, keep in mind what exactly you are voting for and why you vote either ‘yes’ or ‘no.’  

More information regarding Question 4 click here.

*Thumbnail.

Avalon is a freshman Communicatons major with a focus in Journalism/Media Writing at Lasell. As a brand new member of Her Campus she is excited to explore all new and different forms of writing while also expanding her writing skills. Avalon is also one of the DJ's for Lasell's radio, her show is on Mondays-Thursdays from 8pm to 9pm. In her free time she enjoys reading, writing, editing photos, listening to music and watching many movies.