Lasell College Presents: “Heathers The Musical”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Lasell College’s Drama Club is stunning in this year’s spring musical, “Heathers.” “Heathers: the Musical” revolves around the crazy tornado that is high school, and is based off the cult movie from 1988. Veronica Sawyer, played by Lily Anderson, takes us back with her to remember what it was like to be in high school in 1989, while having to deal with the hard-hitting issues of eating disorders, bullying, and teenage suicide.

Of course, adding teen romance to the mix only makes things more complicated. SPOILER ALERT, Veronica’s crush, J.D., played by Spencer Hill, turns out to be a murderer after he murders the most popular girl in school, Heather Chandler, played by Casey White. Veronica and J.D. realize they are in over their heads and play the murders off as teen suicides, causing a ripple effect in their community. This sparks a chance for everyone to finally show off their true colors and inner fears… underneath the scrunchies and football jerseys.

The costume design done by Lasell alum Megan Pillsbury deserves special recognition. The costumes in the show were all stunning, and spot on. They showed extreme creativity and the personalities of not only the characters, but also of the actors wearing them. They definitely fit the mood of the 1980’s. The stage design did a fantastic job of helping tell the story, but being minimal enough to not get in the way of the actor’s performance, as did the lighting designs.

Audience members fell in love with “Heathers,” bringing laughter and tears, and brought to their feet by the end. Audience member Ashley Burke said, “This show is really one of a kind. I wasn’t expecting to be this blown away at the end.”

This show really has something unique about it, due to the talented director Lori L’Italien for being able to find that magical spark in “Heathers.” She says in her director’s note, “the enthusiasm surrounding this show has been infectious.”

This show is not something to be missed. With its array of ensemble members who bring their own personalities, hilarious one-liners, and a glimpse into the reality of high school, it truly has something for everyone to love.

You still have time to catch “Heathers” this weekend at Yamawaki Auditorium. There will be two shows Saturday, Nov. 19, at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and the final show on Sunday, Nov. 20 at 6 p.m. Remember, because of inappropriate language and themes, “Heathers” is only for audience members 17 and up.

Elizabeth is a Senior at Lasell College, she is a writer and President for the Lasell Her Campus chapter.