Medicine cabinet packed full of skincare products
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

I’ve Finally Found My Favorite Skin Care Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Skincare is hard to master. I totally understand the struggle of having way too many products that it essentially feels like nothing is happening to the condition of your skin. As someone with complicated skin, it has taken me years to get to the point of my skincare routine where it is both realistic and actually works. I would consider my current skin type as sensitive and a combination of oily and dry. However, I grew up facing a real struggle with acne, and put face skin through a lot of routines that never seemed to work. Honestly, some even made my skin condition even worse. So, I am going to share with you some skincare products that I have personally tried and believe are valuable to my routine. I use very few products because I know that they will actually work, and I am more likely to actually stick to the routine if it is a quicker process. By no means am I a skincare expert or doctor and I highly consider visiting a dermatologist to get professional advice if you truly feel challenged. My dermatologists have provided me with great insight and have always listened to my concerns. What works for my skin will not work for everyone. 

The first product that I swear by is the CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser. This brand has some incredible products at affordable prices. The facial cleanser alone is by far my favorite skincare product. The foaming action feels like I am genuinely cleaning any excess oil, dirt, and makeup off of my face while leaving behind the simple and soft feel of my natural skin. I could not even begin to tell you how many cleansers and washes I have tried in the past that leave behind this oily texture that is truly the worst. This cleanser also feels so gentle on my skin. I use it with a face wash cloth so that if I wanted to do more of an exfoliating scrub I can while also getting the most foaminess out of the cleanser. 

Every good skincare routine needs a decent moisturizer. I am so happy that I have found my holy grail, Shea Moisture Daily Hydration Face Lotion. This one surprised me. I know that this brand is more commonly known for their hair products so I was not expecting to be so pleased with this moisturizer. One pump really goes a long way! I have had the same little 3.2 fl oz bottle since summer. I find that brands that focus the base of their products on organic or natural oils like shea butter, coconut oil, or cocoa butter are brands that deliver good products. For example, I love Palmer’s Original Cocoa Butter Formula Lip Balm

Hopefully my experience can be a little helpful on your skincare journey. Never get discouraged because you think that there is not a single product that will work for you. We are all developing our skincare routine with our changing skin conditions. Best of luck on your skincare journey!

Megan Curley

Lasell '23

I'm a senior double-majoring in Hospitality and Event Management with a minor in Marketing. My hobbies include being obsessed with Formula 1, camping, and trying new things.