Style > Beauty

It’s Time to Forget Superstores and Start Supporting Black- Owned Beauty Stores ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I have been thinking a lot about black-owned beauty businesses… specifically the lack of them in the beauty community. African American women are the highest spender in beauty related items and Madame C. J. Walker was the first woman millionaire due to her hair care line. However, the majority of modern beauty brands lack representation in ownership and in high-level positions in companies.

When people think of black beauty they often think “cheap”. It’s going to be cheaper than going to “a normal beauty store” and are quickly disappointed to see black-owned stores equally want to make a profit. Target has recently made an effort in the past few years to expand their “ethnic” hair care aisle, I’ve also seen it called textured at some stores. So why patronize black beauty stores if I can get it at a superstore or a store closer to home?

I choose to patronize a small store down the street from my house. However, that is the only black-owned beauty store I know in my town. I refuse to shop anywhere else, even waiting for product shipments to get my beauty supplies than go down the street to another beauty store.

Often, black women are under-represented in the community and going to their local black beauty store is a way to bond with other women and learn how to take care of their hair. In the past few years, black-owned beauty stores have been on the rise and it may seem like something not important, but it affects the black community.

Can you imagine walking into a hair store and being disrespected for your hair type, despite being their target market? What about going to a hair store where the owner doesn’t know what they’re talking about? The rise in black-owned beauty stores has helped women understand what products are best for their hair and help them move to natural hair. If you have hair that an ordinary hair store cashier wouldn’t have experience in, you can go to black beauty stores to get the help and products you need.

It doesn’t matter your ethnicity, black-owned beauty stores tend to have better customer service in my opinion. They care about their customers and are passionate about their business. Many of these owners have personally tried these products or know people who have tried these products. They aren’t going to sell you on something that they don’t believe in or wouldn’t use themselves.

Black-owned beauty store also inspires the younger generations of POC to become entrepreneurs. In some communities, it seems like everything is stacked against you. They help to inspire young people to believe in themselves and encourage them to pursue starting their own business. Black-owned stores also tend to support other black-owned businesses by dying their products and suggesting their services. It helps bring more wealth and prosperity into the black community. These small beauty stores are making a difference in their community by giving back and helping other black-owned businesses to flourish.

Next time you need to pick up a beauty product, check out your local black-owned beauty store instead.

Ariana is the Editor In Chief for Her Campus Lasell. She is a senior at Lasell double majoring in Business Management and Marketing. When she's not editing for HC Lasell, she's binge-watching Netflix or buried in a good book.