Its Time to Consider Cracking Down on Trash and Participating in a Beach Clean Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

There are a million things you can do as an individual or group to make the Earth healthier and cleaner. The Earth provides so much for us and it deserves for us to give back. One out of many ideas is a beach clean up. This impacts different things for the better. One being it saves marine life. There are tons of deaths every year of marine life from human trash or waste. If people leave their trash on the beach, it can get into the water. Thus, then something in the ocean can get caught in it, eat it and get sick from it, or cause other harm to them. Something else it impacts is the preservation of the beach. If we take care of them, then they’ll stay safe and beautiful. They will get ruined if we let our trash takeover. No one will want to go anymore and the trash will never be taken care of and just harm the animals and the Earth. Along with this, keeping trash out of the water also eliminates toxic chemicals going into the water. Many things end up in the water that has toxic chemicals and makes it unhealthy. This is also harmful to marine life as it is their home and if something contaminates it, then their lives and safety are at risk. By doing a beach clean up it teaches you and others how to dispose of waste properly and not have it invading the beaches. As well as by keeping the beaches clean, this uplifts the economy by keeping tourism alive. Along with keeping fishing and other activities or jobs available. Alongside keeping fishing available, if you keep the beach clean then it creates safer seafood consumption. If waste and trash end up in the water and fish or other crustaceans get to and then you consume them, then the toxins can be led into your body. This can cause someone to be sick or have future health problems. It would also create a healthier environment for humans, marine life, and other animals that use the beach as their habitat. Thus, by going around picking up trash on the beach would prevent these events from happening.

Kaylee Bickford is a Junior at Lasell University studying psychology. She is also a member of Class Committee as the Junior Class Treasurer and CAB. A few fun facts about her are; she absolutely loves sloths, obsessed with her birthday, and Christmas is her favorite holiday. Her instagram can be found at @kaylee_bickford.