Ipsy Bag Vs Allure Box: Which One is Better?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In March, I decided to solve the age-old question: which monthly beauty box is the best? I signed up for the Ipsy bag ($10 a month) and the Allure beauty box ($15 a month). I also wanted to compare Birchbox, but was unable to sign up for some reason. I thought I did order from the website until I noticed no money left my account, and I did not receive any confirmation emails from the brand.

I used to be a member of Ipsy and Birchbox in the past (not at the same time), but grew bored of the items I was receiving and did not want to spend the money on another beauty bag. However, it has been years since I canceled my subscription, so I was curious if the bags would start to surprise me again and make me feel inspired to use the products.

Before I dive into what products I received, I want to take you through the processes of signing up. When signing up for Ipsy and Birchbox, you take a “quiz” and fill out your preferences. Ipsy asked me questions about my skin tone, eye color, hair color, and level of comfort with makeup. I also was brought to a screen where I selected what brands I would like to receive products from, what type of items I’d like most, and what colors I would want (bright, neutral, bold, red). Then, the survey asked me where I buy my beauty products from. The Allure Beauty Box had no such thing, and had very little information about the box.

In general, I prefer navigating through the Ipsy website than the Allure website. It is hard to find the “beauty box” area of the Allure website, and even then I was only brought to a screen about my shipping, billing, and credit card information, nothing else. Ipsy, however, is much easier to navigate. You can find most (if not all) products and brands in their full size containers through the website, and can even purchase them through the website. It is also a lot easier to cancel your subscription on the Ipsy website than through the Allure website. Somehow, I also received two boxes from Allure. One was the “monthly box”, and the next was the Allure “Best of Beauty Box”. I wasn’t expecting two boxes, but it was a nice surprise. It did confuse me, though.

In my Allure boxes, I received seven items in each. In the first box I received, I got a sample of anti-aging moisturizer from the brand Youth to the People (full size is $48), Skinfix Minty Lip Repair Balm (full size $5), a Burt’s Bees Lipstick in Blush Basin ($9), a full size of the Tarte Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara ($23), and finally a cushion highlighter from the brand Cle ($30). I have tried only two of the items in this box before. I gave the mascara to a friend who swears by it, because I have an abundance of mascara. I like the mascara, too, and would definitely recommend it. I tried the moisturizer before, and it is nice but I don’t see a need for it. I am really excited to try everything else in this box!

In the “Best of Beauty” box, I received a travel size version of the Oribe Working Hairspray ($42 for full size), a small jar of the Laneige Water Sleeping Mask ($25), La Roche-Posay Anthelios 60 Ultra-light Sunscreen fluid ($19), a mini Make Up For Ever Artist Rouge Creme Lipstick in the shade C211 ($22) and a mini bottle of their Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation ($43). I also received a liquid eyeliner from Eyeko ($22) and the Simple Water Boost Micellar Make-Up Remover Eye Pads. Again, I only have tried two of these products before receiving them in the box (the foundation and the hairspray). To be honest, I hate the Make Up For Ever Foundation. I have purchased a bottle myself years ago but never wore it because I noticed the foundation would look horrible after only a few hours. It would go on nice, but quickly look horrible. A lot of people swear by it, though, so I would get a sample of it at your local Sephora before buying the whole bottle. I love the Simple Micellar Water, so I was excited to try to eye pads and they worked wonderfully. I also tried the Laneige sleeping mask, which was my first sleeping mask experience. It was really nice, but I also was confused because it just seemed like a moisturizer for me. I tried the eyeliner, too, but found that the tip was too fat to get the type of liner I was looking for. It actually ended up ruining my eye look (boo).

In my Ipsy bag, I received a fan brush from the brand Royal & Langnickel. The fan brush is mermaid theme, which is a trend I am bored of. The brush is okay, but not my favorite to apply highlight with. I also could not find the price on the Ipsy website. I also received a lip liner in a dark nude color from Contour Cosmetics, which seems rich and creamy, a Glossier lip balm, and two Meg Cosmetics Good Night PM sheet masks, to be used at the end of the day before bed. I also received a Glow Duo from City Color Cosmetics, one side is a bronzer and the other is a highlight. I have not tried the highlight yet but I probably would not use the bronzer on my face because it is full of glitter. However, I will use it as eyeshadow.

Overall, I think the Allure box is the better deal. I was more excited for those products than for the Ipsy bag. I have received another bag since, and it also was very anti-climatic. I’ve never heard of the brands in the bag, which is good because it is different, but I also feel uninspired by the products. I will probably cancel my subscription soon. Also, Allure is $5 more than Ipsy. Keep that in mind when choosing which subscription to purchase. When I went to unsubscribe from the Allure box subscription, I had to email their customer service. I then received an email in response with a deal, that if I agreed to receive boxes for the next four months, I only pay $10 for each. I jumped on that deal. Keep that in mind if you do not want to spend the $15 every month (#hack).

Kyle Mahoney

Lasell '18

Kyle Mahoney is a recent Lasell College graduate. Kyle majored in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations, with a minor in Business. Kyle has written for Her Campus Lasell for three years, as well with completing an internship with HCHQ Spring semester of 2018.