Career > Her20s

International Women’s Week: Alexis Grant, Journalist, Traveler, and Social Media Superstar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Q: What is your major, class year and where are you from?

A: I’m a junior Journalism major from Athens Maine.

Q: What inspires you as an aspiring journalist?

A: Growing up, I was always writing, and my family was always reading me stories. Now I’ve realized that telling stories is a skill I can take into the workforce to help others. I recently wrote an article called “It’s Okay to Not be Perfect.” Perfectionism and holding myself to overly high standards was something I had been struggling with, so writing that article helped me deal with that, and I hope it helped others with the same struggle when reading it. I want to help bring awareness to topics, whether they’re serious, or fun. I just want people to feel something when they read my pieces.

Q: What has being the event director for her campus taught you?

A: Being the Event Director of our chapter of Her Campus has taught me how to create a budget and be a delegator in terms of choosing when and how to plan different events. I’ve also strengthened my communication skills a lot by working with different members of our club, as well as Lasell’s Student Activities workers. 

Q: Tell me about your internship and what a typical day is like for you?

A: I currently have a social media internship with Wave Collective, a Boston-based communications firm. I work on social media content for their clients, whether it’s creating graphics on Canva, writing captions, coming up with quotes and statistics for content, creating and posting Tiktoks, or learning about social media analytics. I’ve also gone to a photoshoot in Boston for one of their brands which was so fun! It depends on the day, but after or before class I work on my internship for anywhere between 2-6 hours.

Q: How are you able to balance your internship with school, and other clubs and activities? 

A: I’ve always had pretty good time management skills, but I’ve gotten better at that this semester just from being so busy. I put everything into the calendar on my phone so I get notifications and don’t forget anything. I also keep notes on what’s due during the week to help keep myself on track, and every night I look ahead at what I have to do the next day. Everything I’m doing is something I’m passionate about, so it’s not hard for me to stay motivated!

Q: How have you incorporated your love for fashion into your other interests while being at school?

A: I’ve joined a few on-campus activities that have helped me keep that interest alive! Besides Her Campus, I’m involved in studio1851, a student-run retail store where I post on social media and lead the Spotlight Artist initiative, which allows members of the Lasell community to display or sell their products in-store! I’m also part of the Fashion Styling and Photography Club and will be involved in styling a shoot this semester. All of last year, I was a blog writer, editor, and on the social media team for Polished, Lasell’s award-winning fashion magazine. 

Q: As a college student, how have you been able to travel while in school?

A: Traveling is one of my biggest passions, and I’m very fortunate to be able to do that while in school as a broke college student. Last summer I worked 60+ hours a week at three jobs to save money to travel to Poland, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, and Sweden. It was hard work, but I was so happy to be able to go on that trip! I also try to find cheaper places to travel and am careful about budgeting everything. I’m also going to Puerto Rico over spring break which I’m paying for with money I’ve been making while working two jobs on campus. I think anyone can travel on any budget, you just have to work hard, save up, and know where to look to get the best prices. There are also volunteer programs available. I did one in Poland where I spent a week teaching Polish children how to speak English, but they paid for my hotel and all my meals. I still got to see the country with an amazing experience, but for a cheaper price.

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.