Career

International Women’s Day: Rabecca Fulp, Moving Out at 18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Rabecca Fulp is twenty-one years old, works full-time, and has lived on her own since she was only eighteen. Even though she describes moving out that young as “chaotic” and “ she did not know what she was doing,” she persevered. She is not only an amazing friend, but also a great sister, daughter, and aunt. She is so hardworking, funny, puts others before herself, smart, and humble. She has overcome many challenges in her twenty-one years but figured it out as she went and overcame them. 

Even though moving out on your own can be very challenging, her favorite part about being out on her own is the sense of dependency and not having to answer to anyone. There is also more time for “me time.” The best advice she would give someone who is moving out for the first time is “ if you have a support system use it. Do not try to do everything by yourself just because you want to show you are independent. Use your resources and ask others what it was like moving out for them the first time.”

Fulp has also been working full-time since she was eighteen and even though that can be not fun at times, “ it is rewarding, in the end, to see your hard work pay off and use your paychecks to be more independent by buying a car, paying rent, etc.” 

When Fulp was asked “who is a woman that inspires you?” she could not just pick one. She responded, ”my sisters and friends, everyone gives me different perspectives on life, advice, and faces their own challenges.” 

On top of working full-time, Becca is also an amazing aunt to her niece and nephew and babysits them often. She describes them as “ wild children, but loving. They are funny and they keep me on my toes since they are toddlers.” She knows that they are going to continue to grow up so fast. 

When Fulp was asked, “ where do you see yourself in five to ten years?” she responded with “ I am not sure and that is okay. I have come to the conclusion to not stress about it.” She believes in living each day to the fullest and taking it day by day. Even if she is not sure where life is taking her, with her continuing hard work and perseverance, she definitely has a bright future ahead of her.

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.