Informational Highlight: Syria

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

On Friday, the president of the United States signed an executive order freezing entrance into the US from seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days and suspending all refugee admission for 120 days. The countries banned are Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen. This order has caused outcry from human rights organizations, legal scholars, and the international community. This week Her Campus Lasell will feature an informational article on each country whose citizens have been banned from the US in order to increase understanding of the complex nature of these countries and their citizens.

*The language in the executive order calls for the indefinite ban of all nationals and refugees from Syria.

Syria

Demographics

Syria, also known as the Syrian Arab Republic, is a country in Western Asia bordered by Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq, Jordan, and Israel. The two largest cities in Syria, Aleppo and Damascus, are the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world. A majority of people are located around the Euphrates river basin. The largest ethnic group are Syrian Arabs, followed by the northern-based Kurds. Sunni Muslims make up 74 percent of the Arab population, while 13 percent are Shia Muslims. Hypothetically, primary school is free and compulsory for all children between ages 6-12. However, the infrastructure of Syria has collapsed since the start of the 2011 civil war. Currently an estimated 11 million people have been displaced by the civil war.

History

The first civilization in Syria is estimated to have been founded in 3500 BCE. The city was in trade communication with ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, and Sumer. The region was eventually conquered by the Greek-Macedonian Empire, who gave it the name, Syria. In the 1500s the Ottoman Turks conquered Syria, and ruled for the next four hundred years. During World War I, Syria became the final stop on the death march of the Ottoman orchestrated Armenian and Assyrian Genocides. In 1920 the borders of Syria were negotiated between Britain and France, and an independent Syria joined the League of Nations. This independence didn’t last long; within a few months France invaded and declared Syria a French mandate. The Syrians fought back through both military and diplomatic means, however they did not gain their independence from France until after the second World War. In 1946 the Syrian Republic was formed. Conflict and upheaval defined the next two decades, with Syria being involved in the conflict between Israel and Palestine, as well as experiencing numerous coups and government changes. In 1970, Hafez al-Assad took power through a coup, splitting the then ruling Ba’ath party into two factions. Hafez ruled until his death in 2000, when his son, Bashir al-Assad took over. With this new rule came hope for reform, however Bashir’s rule brought even more political oppression and imprisonment. In 2011, the Syrian people peacefully revolted against their government in the Arab Spring uprisings. The government responded with military violence, and soon the revolutionaries created the Syrian Free Army in response. The Syrian Civil War began, displacing millions of Syrians and killing thousands of civilians, including children. The war still continues today.

Government

In 2012, Syria adopted a new constitution, which transformed the country into a presidential republic. The president is the head of state and the prime minister is the head of government, The constitution requires the president of Syria to be Muslim, but does not establish  Islam as the national religion. The president has the power to declare war, administer laws, amend the constitution, and appoint civil servants. The legislative branch of the government consists of elected representatives from numerous political parties in Syria. Syria’s judicial branch consists of elements from French, Ottoman, and Islamic law. Religious courts handle matters of personal and family law. There was a parliamentary election held in 2016 in the government held region of Syria. This election was not recognized as legitimate by a majority of the international community.

Human Rights

In 2010, prior to the Arab Spring uprisings, Syria was considered one of the worst countries in the world when it came to human rights. The authorities are accused of arresting activists, censoring and detaining critics, imposing travel bans, arbitrary detention, torture, and disappearances. Legislation discriminates against women and girls, specifically in its leniency towards honor killings. During the initial uprisings in 2011, the UN estimated that 3,500 people were killed by their government, including 250 children. Gang rapes of young boys by security officers were common. In 2013 the Syrian government used chemical weapons against its own people. In reaction to the conflict, the Syrian government has suspended almost all constitutional protections for its citizens.

Terrorism

Since the Syrian Civil War, terrorism in Syria has increased exponentially. Terrorist acts have been primarily carried out by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and Jabhat al-Nusra. From 2011-2012, eighty suicide bombings were recorded in Syria, with a majority of them being carried out by al-Nusra. ISIS is located primarily on the Northern border of Syria, and is engaged in battles with the Syrian Kurds, Turkey, and the United States. Syria has also been accused of state-sponsored terrorism against its own people.

US-Syria Relations

Following the 9/11 attacks in 2011, US and Syria began limited cooperation on intel and security measures. Syria became the most common destination for the US to send enemies to be tortured for information. Relations began to weaken due to Syria’s disapproval of the War in Iraq. In 2006 the American Embassy in Damascus was unsuccessfully attacked, leading to economic sanctions against Syria. In 2010 the US and Syria attempted to mend relations. However, Syria’s use of violence against Arab Spring uprisings garnered criticism from the US. US-Syria relations have been officially non-existent since the start of the Syrian Civil War in 2011. Prior to the recent election, the United States refused to accept any peace deal that would place Bashir al-Assad back in power.

Sources:

Gammer 2004, p. 64. Letter from Syrian Arab Republic People’s Assembly to United States House of Representatives, 4 September 2013., “Neolithic Tell Ramad in the Damascus Basin of Syria”. Archive. Archived from the original on 11 November 2006. Retrieved 25 January 2013., Sherwell, Phillip. “Syria replaces Afghanistan as world’s least peaceful country”. The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 22 September 2014.Pettinato, Giovanni. The Archives of Ebla; Gelb, I. J. “Thoughts about Ibla: A Preliminary Evaluation” in Monographic Journals of the Near East, Syro-Mesopotamian Studies 1/1 (May 1977) pp. 3–30.,  “Syria: A country Study – Ancient Syria”. Library of Congress. Data as of April 1987. Retrieved 5 September 2007.,  “Syria – Ottoman”. Library of Congress Country Studies. Retrieved 25 January 2013., Pouring a People into the Desert:The “Definitive Solution” of the Unionists to the Armenian Question, Fuat Dundar, A Question of Genocide, ed. Ronald Grigor Suny, Fatma Muge Gocek and Norman M. Naimark, (Oxford University Press, 2011), 280–281. “Mandat Syrie-Liban” (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 26 June 2008. Retrieved 25 January 2013.,  “Background Note: Syria”. United States Department of State, Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs, May 2007., Gelber,2006, pp. 138, Ghadry, Farid N. (Winter 2005). “Syrian Reform: What Lies Beneath”. The Middle East Quarterly.,  “Syrian army tanks ‘moving towards Hama'”. BBC News. 10 May 2011. Retrieved 18 May 2015., Sengupta, Kim (20 February 2012). “Syria’s sectarian war goes international as foreign fighters and arms pour into country”. The Independent. Antakya. Retrieved 22 February 2012.,  “Constitution of Syria. Articles 58–59”. Scribd.com. 15 February 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2013.,  “Constitution of Syria. Article 75(1)2)(4)”. Scribd.com. 15 February 2012. Retrieved 30 January 2013.,  “Constitution of Syria”. Retrieved 22 October 2008.,  “Syria (05/07)”. State.gov. Retrieved 25 October 2008., “Εκλογές στη Συρία, ενώ η εμπόλεμη κατάσταση παραμένει”. efsyn.gr. 13 April 2016., “Syria among worst for rights abuses: HRW report”. Reuters. 24 January 2011., Guy Dinmore (31 March 2006). “Bush enters debate on freedom in Iran”. Financial Times. Retrieved 6 April 2006. “Syria: Events of 2008”. Human Rights Watch.,  “200 massacred in Hama, claim Syrian activists”. 13 July 2012., “Iran warns west against military intervention in Syria”. The Guardian. Retrieved 28 August 2013. Strenger, Carlo (8 February 2012). “Assad takes a page out of Russia’s book in his war against rebels”. Haaretz. Retrieved 15 January 2013., “World Refugee Survey 2008”. U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants. 19 June 2008. Archived from the original on 28 December 2012., “Syria – International Religious Freedom Report 2006”. U.S. Department of State. 2006. Retrieved 28 June 2009., Drysdale, Alasdair; Hinnebusch, Raymond A. (1991), Syria and the Middle East Peace Process, Council on Foreign Relations, p. 222, ISBN 0876091052,  “U.S. Relations With Syria”. State.gov. 24 October 2012. Retrieved 25 January 2013.

Freshman at Lasell College. Interested in fashion, feminism, and fearlessly pursuing my dreams.