Informational Highlight: Iraq

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

On Friday, the president of the United States signed an executive order freezing entrance into the US from seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days and suspending all refugee admission for 120 days. The countries banned are Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen. This order has caused outcry from human rights organizations, legal scholars, and the international community. This week Her Campus Lasell will feature an informational article on each country whose citizens have been banned from the US in order to increase understanding of the complex nature of these countries and their citizens.

Iraq

Demographics

Iraq, also known as the Republic of Iraq, is located in Western Asia. It is bordered by Turkey, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Syria. Located in what is formerly known as ancient Mesopotamia, Iraq is dependent of the Tigris and the Euphrates as sources of fertility for the region. The main two ethnic groups are Kurds and Arabs, and 95 percent of the population practices Islam. Since the multinational invasion of Iraq in 2003, around 3 million Iraqis have been displaced from their homes. Almost half fled to the neighboring countries of Jordan and Syria. However, due to violence in Syria, many have begun returning to Iraq, along with Syrian refugees. Iraq boasts a nationalized health care system that provides free healthcare to all citizens. Their education has struggled in the past 15 years due to conflict, however surveys show that around 80 percent of men and 60 percent of women are literate.

History

Iraq is located in what many refer to as the “cradle of civilization.” Nestled between the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers, the former Sumerian civilization is known for the world’s first recorded writing system, history, mathematics, government, use of the wheel, and more. One of the first recorded rule of law, The Code of Hammurabi, was written and implemented in what is now modern day Iraq. In the following thousand years, the area was ruled by many different empires, and eventually came under control of the British. In 1920 Great Britain established a monarchy in Iraq, and in 1932 they granted Iraq their independence. The British-selected monarch was soon overthrown in a coup, which led to a resurgence of British military presence in the area until 1954. In 1968 the Ba’ath Party took over the government, which led to the eventual rise of Saddam Hussein to power. In 1980 Iraq invaded Iran, and in 1990 it invaded and annexed Kuwait. Following the 9/11 attacks on the United States, the US invaded Iraq in 2003 under the pretext that Iraq was harboring nuclear weapons. This turned out to be untrue, however American military presence stayed in Iraq until 2011. In 2011, Arab Spring protests swept through Iraq, however the government stayed in power. Currently the country still struggles with violence between its Sunni and Shia populations, as well as ISIS presence.

Government

Under the current constitution, the Iraqi government is defined as a democratic, federal parliamentary Islamic republic. The federal government is composed of three branches. Within the country there are different regions, which each have a smaller government that has jurisdiction over that region. There are four main political parties in Iraq, where voters tend to vote along ethnic lines (Sunni, Shia, and Kurdish being the main three). The government has become increasingly more stable, aided by the peaceful transition of power to the new prime minister. Iraq still struggles with political corruption left behind by Saddam Hussein’s rule. Due to decreasing oil prices, unemployment in the country has increased in the past few years.

Human Rights

During the rule of Saddam Hussein, Iraq’s human rights record was dismal. The use of chemical weapons by the government, both against foreign enemies and their own people, was very common. In 1980 a genocidal campaign against the Kurdish was carried out, killing between 50,000-100,000 people. Entire villages were destroyed and millions of people were displaced. Currently, Iraq’s recognition of human rights have been marginally improving. Homosexuality is decriminalized, though still socially unacceptable. Women are still struggling to receive their full dignity, as honor killings and female genital mutilation are still common practice.

Terrorism

The war in Iraq was often referred to by the international community as the “War on Terror.” Indeed, almost 10,000 people in Iraq were killed by terrorism in 2014 alone. A majority of these attacks are carried out by both Sunni and Shia extremists against the other group, as well as an increased presence of ISIS. Iraq has also been accused of aiding in foreign terror attacks, although there is a lack of solid proof. After 9/11, US officials claimed to have intelligence linking Iraq to the 9/11 attacks orchestrated by al-Qaeda. However, the intelligence community has since come forward to admit those links were not as strong as originally perceived.

US-Iraq Relations

US-Iraq relations began in 1930 when the US recognized Iraq as a nation. Relations became strained after the 1958 coup. They began to strengthen during Lyndon B. Johnson’s presidency, however Iraq cut ties with the Unites States after the US supported Israel in the 6 Day War. Tensions began to warm in the 1980s, and communication and trade began between the two countries. However, in 1990 Iraq invaded Kuwait, and the US intervened, leading to the first Gulf War. Diplomatic relations were broken off again. In 2003 the US invaded Iraq on a suspicion they housed nuclear weapons. They remained until 2011, and were integral in the eventual removal of Saddam Hussein from power. Currently, northern Iraq has been taken over by ISIS, and the US military, along with other foreign allies, is pushing to remove ISIS from its last strongholds.

Sources:

Iraq”. CIA Factbook.Article 125 of the Iraqi Constitution.http://www.refworld.org/pdfid/454f50804.pdf, “Declaration of Principles for a Long-Term Relationship of Cooperation and Friendship Between the Republic of Iraq and the United States of America”. 2007-11-26.,“Top 10 Battles for the Control of Iraq”. Livescience.com. Retrieved 2009-03-23., Roux, Georges (1993), “Ancient Iraq” (Penguin),  “Seleucia on the Tigris”. Umich.edu. 1927-12-29. Retrieved 2011-06-19., Ongsotto et.al. Asian History Module-based Learning Ii’ 2003 Ed. p69. [1], Lyman, p.23, Cleveland, William (2016). A History of the Modern Middle East. Boulder, CO: Westview Press., Tyler, Patrick E. “Officers Say U.S. Aided Iraq in War Despite Use of Gas” New York Times August 18, 2002., “Bush’s “16 Words” on Iraq & Uranium: He May Have Been Wrong But He Wasn’t Lying”. FactCheck.org. July 26, 2004. Archived from the original on 2010-03-05.,Borger, Julian (2004-10-07). “There were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq”. guardian.co.uk. London: Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 2008-04-28., Sly, Liz (12 February 2011). “Egyptian revolution sparks protest movement in democratic Iraq”. The Washington Post. Retrieved 12 February 2011., “Guide to political groups in Iraq”. BBC News. 11 November 2010.,  “The Failed States Index 2013”. fundforpeace.org. Archived from the original on 2015-02-06., “Abadi agonistes”. The Economist. ISSN 0013-0613. Retrieved 2016-04-21., Wagner, Thomas (2005-10-25). “Iraq’s Constitution Adopted by Voters”. ABC News. Archived from the original on 2006-02-18. Retrieved 2013-01-25., “Iraq Personal Status Law of 1959 (ABA Translation)” (PDF). American Bar Association. Retrieved 2016-08-17., “Women In Personal Status Laws: Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria” (PDF). SHS Papers in Women’s Studies/ Gender Research, No. 4. UNESCO. July 2005., Iraqi Constitution, Article 4., “Saddam’s rule ‘better’ for gay Iraqis”. BBC News. 2009-07-06. Retrieved 2013-01-25., Lochhead, Carolyn (2007-01-16). “40% of middle class believed to have fled crumbling nation”. The San Francisco Chronicle., Leyne, Jon (2007-01-24). “Doors closing on fleeing Iraqis”. BBC News. Retrieved 2010-01-05, “Plight of Iraqi refugees worsens as Syria, Jordan impose restrictions”., “Will Iraq’s 1.3 million refugees ever be able to go home?”. London: The Independent. December 16, 2011.,“Iraqi refugees flee war-torn Syria and seek safety back home”. UNHCR. 18 June 2013., “High-Tech Healthcare in Iraq, Minus the Healthcare”. CorpWatch. January 8, 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-07-17., “Literacy rates of 15–24 years old, both sexes, percentage”. Millennium Development Goals Indicators. United Nations. Retrieved 30 January 2011.

Freshman at Lasell College. Interested in fashion, feminism, and fearlessly pursuing my dreams.