a drawing of the five love languages
a drawing of the five love languages
Original photo by Marvin Araiza
Health

I tried Positive Affirmations for Week and these were my Results

When scrolling on my “For You Page” on Tiktok, I often see creators posting positive affirmations. A popular creator, @scarlettandtiania, is a mother-daughter duo who recites positive affirmations in the mirror every morning as Tiana (mom) does Scarlett’s (daughter) hair. For a week, I decided to say positive affirmations while getting ready in the morning to see if I felt more confident by the end of the week. I said encouraging statements like…

• I am beautiful 
  • I am loved
  • I am confident
  • I am smart

Every morning, I would say five to ten of these affirmations while getting ready. I felt a little stupid the first couple of days looking in the mirror saying the “I am” affirmations while doing my hair, but towards the end of the week it became a part of my routine. As the days went on I started believing the affirmations, so I was comfortable repeating them. 

Although so simple, saying the daily affirmations caused me to be more confident as I went about my everyday life. I noticed I felt more confident sending emails I would be typically nervous to send. I spoke up for myself more. Usually, I might be quiet, I contributed to conversation more. I honestly say that I had a better posture by the end of the week because I felt more confident.

I am so excited to add positive affirmations to my daily routine. You must add it to yours. My self-esteem was already better after one week, so I am psyched to see my confidence as time goes on.  

Isabelle is a freshman Elementary Education major at Lasell! Her hobbies include yoga, reading, and drinking iced mochas with oat milk!