a drawing of the five love languages
a drawing of the five love languages
Original photo by Marvin Araiza
Wellness > Health

I tried Positive Affirmations for Week and these were my Results

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

When scrolling on my “For You Page” on Tiktok, I often see creators posting positive affirmations. A popular creator, @scarlettandtiania, is a mother-daughter duo who recites positive affirmations in the mirror every morning as Tiana (mom) does Scarlett’s (daughter) hair. For a week, I decided to say positive affirmations while getting ready in the morning to see if I felt more confident by the end of the week. I said encouraging statements like…

• I am beautiful 
  • I am loved
  • I am confident
  • I am smart

Every morning, I would say five to ten of these affirmations while getting ready. I felt a little stupid the first couple of days looking in the mirror saying the “I am” affirmations while doing my hair, but towards the end of the week it became a part of my routine. As the days went on I started believing the affirmations, so I was comfortable repeating them. 

Although so simple, saying the daily affirmations caused me to be more confident as I went about my everyday life. I noticed I felt more confident sending emails I would be typically nervous to send. I spoke up for myself more. Usually, I might be quiet, I contributed to conversation more. I honestly say that I had a better posture by the end of the week because I felt more confident.

I am so excited to add positive affirmations to my daily routine. You must add it to yours. My self-esteem was already better after one week, so I am psyched to see my confidence as time goes on.  

Isabelle is a Sophmore Elementary Education major at Lasell! She also is working towards her minor in History. On campus, Isabelle is involved in HerCampus, Habitat for Humanity, Tomorrow's Teachers, and Empty Bowls. Her hobbies include yoga, listening to Taylor Swift, and thrifting!