I Rewatched MTV’s “Awkward” and These Are My Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

I’m not sure if it was just me, but back in middle school I watched an MTV series called “Awkward”. Back then I thought it was interesting as it was based on high schoolers and tons of drama. I totally had a crush on the main character Matty McKibben, and after rewatching it recently I can say I had good taste as a middle schooler. I honestly had forgotten about the show because in early high-school years it wasn’t available on Netflix or any other tv show platform. I only came across it recently as I was searching for something new to binge.

It popped up on my Hulu and all the memories of watching that show flashbacked. It was a show my best friend and I would watch at sleepovers or just hanging out. Looking back on it now it is a little cringy and the drama is ridiculous, but that’s what draws me in. Part of it is relatable with some of the problems they come across as high-schoolers. They especially focus on the issues with “popularity” and other societal problems that happen in high-school. Even though I already knew what was going to happen I rewatched it within a week. There are five seasons but the episodes are only around twenty minutes long or so. I thought I knew everything that was going to happen, but I did forget a lot that happened especially in the later seasons. I’d recommend binge-watching it as I did. With how the plot is you always want to know what’s going to happen and how it ends. Especially that two of the main characters are so off and you have to know if they end up together or not. I leave it up to you to find out how the story ends.

Kaylee Bickford is a Junior at Lasell University studying psychology. She is also a member of Class Committee as the Junior Class Treasurer and CAB. A few fun facts about her are; she absolutely loves sloths, obsessed with her birthday, and Christmas is her favorite holiday. Her instagram can be found at @kaylee_bickford.