Health

I Ate Clean for 30 Days: Here’s What Happened

For the month of January, I gave myself a goal. No processed sugar or carbs and no dairy. That pretty much meant none of my favorite foods; no pasta, no pizza, no bread, no late-night ice cream sundaes… it was a good challenge for sure. So what did I eat, you ask? What was the outcome of this 30-day healthy eating kick I went on?

First, let’s start at the beginning. Why did I want to go on this journey in the first place? I was tired of feeling unenergized and unhealthy. I wanted to do something good for myself in order to feel good about myself. I heard of this program called the Whole30 and basically modified it to fit my needs. For example, in the Whole30 program, you can only eat whole, unprocessed foods, which means smoothies aren’t allowed because they’re blended. I definitely broke that rule, and a few others, but was still happy with my results at the end of 30 days.

Now let’s go into how this benefitted me. After 30 days of clean eating… 

1. I lost 10 pounds.

2. I lost 2 inches around my hips and 1.5 inches around my waist.

3. My acne completely cleared up.

4. My skin allergies cleared up.

5. I felt more energized and less bloated.

*It’s important to note that I only worked out a few times while I did this, it wasn’t part of my daily or even weekly routine.

The midpoint of the 30 days was the hardest for me. I started to miss my old way of eating, especially when I saw everyone around me still eating their favorite foods. But I was so impressed with my results at the end of the 30 days that I’m still trying to eat as healthy as possible now. 

What did a typical day of eating look like? While I was doing this, a typical day of eating was… 

• Breakfast: Two eggs with a side of almonds, and either fruit or half an avocado.

• Lunch: Leftovers from dinner the night before with a side salad. My two favorite recipes were Whole30 Spicy Pork & Pesto Zoodles, and Beef Taco Casserole– best with an avocado on the side!

• Dinner: Chicken with cauliflower rice and peas. I tried a variety of different dinner recipes, anything labeled paleo or Whole30 is delicious!

• Snack: Apple with almond butter and pepperoni, or these tasty Chocolate Coconut Bites!

Throughout this challenge, I also got to try lots of new foods, some that I had claimed to dislike before I began this journey! Some of those included…

1. Zoodles– I hated zucchini noodles before, but now they’re one of my favorites!

2. Avocado- I always liked guacamole, but I learned that avocado is great to eat by itself too!

3. Almond butter- I usually just eat peanut butter, but decided to branch out. Now I love almond butter as much, if not more, than peanut butter!

Overall, this was definitely a challenge. I had to get much more creative about what I was eating, and I had to start cooking much more than I used to. It’s easy to grab some junk food out of the cupboard for a snack or heat up a frozen pizza for dinner, but those foods aren’t fueling your body. If you’re looking for a way to be and feel healthier, I would definitely recommend trying this.

Alexis Grant

Lasell '24

A Sophomore at Lasell, Alexis majors in Journalism and Media Writing with a minor in Fashion Media and Marketing. Alexis is interested in dance, photography, social media, travel, and music. In her free time, she enjoys binge-watching her favorite tv shows on Netflix and spending time with her friends and family!