Style

How Your Favorite Brands are Celebrating Black History Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Black History Month started becoming officially celebrated in 1976 and every February in the years after. With this month being Black History Month, many brands and companies are collaborating with artists and highlighting those in the black community to celebrate. Here are some of your favorite brands and what they are doing to celebrate this month: 

Forever 21

This month they are collaborating with three artists to showcase their work and talent;  Stormy Nesbit, Ashley Walker, and Henry Jones. These collections were created with the goal of empowering those in the community while creating original pieces to pay tribute to movements and events in the past. Forever 21 is also partnering with organizations like Sole Folks, Tec Leimert, and Project Level to learn more and help those in the black community.

Target

A campaign called Black Beyond Measure was started at Target which celebrates the community, and creators in a way that honors them. They have four tabs when you get onto the site which is Learn, Act, Buy Black, and Shop Collection. They are not only providing awareness to black creators, but also sharing success stories within the community. Target is working with black-owned brands, creators, and entrepreneurs for this campaign and is doing what they can to educate the community as well. 

Nordstrom 

When you first go on to Nordstrom’s website, you see a banner for their Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging project. Here, customers can read about their mission for change and the commitments they have (like hoping to double their donations to organizations promoting anti-racism to $1 million by 2025). On their site they are also highlighting founders of their favorite Black-owned brands while providing a list of where to shop their Black-owned and Black-founded brands. 

Levi’s

Partnering with artist Fresco Steez, Levi’s and Steez have created a graphic collection to honor those who have advanced racial justice and pay homage to Black political movements. Along with the creative collection, Levi’s is donating to Power U, one of the many organizations dedicated to empowering Black youth and leadership.

Make sure to check out these companies doing amazing things and support other Black-owned and founded businesses this month and always!

Julia McNicol is a junior at Lasell University studying Fashion Media and Marketing with a minor in Journalism. She loves exploring the city, shopping, and watching a good rom-com! Her Instagram can be found at @juliamcnicol as well as @juliashannonxoxo for fashion-specific content.