Wellness

How to Build Affirmations for Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

A powerful way to prepare yourself to have the best day that you can have is to start your mornings off with affirmations. An affirmation is defined as a statement that declares something to be true. A self-affirmation is framed by telling yourself a statement about yourself. For example, “I am confident” is a great affirmation. The best way to make your affirmations tailored specifically to you is to think about your needs. There are several ways to build powerful self-affirmations.

1. Find Pre-Written Affirmations Online

If you think you’ll have trouble coming up with your own affirmations, there are plenty of pre-written ones that you’ll be able to find online. Since there are so many, and not all of them would apply to just one person, the first step to take is to create a goal for your affirmations to achieve. A few examples of a goal could be to foster self-confidence, work on physical or mental health, or make academic achievements. Once you pick one or two goals, you can search online for the affirmation by typing, for example, “Affirmations for self-confidence”. From there, you should see lots of results!

1. Decide what types of affirmations you need

There are so many categories of affirmations one could use, but it would be impossible and pretty overwhelming if you don’t narrow them down. Instead of using every affirmation you can find, try making a list of the goals from the last step, and picking 2 or 3 that you find would help you the most. Then, as you feel like you might need one not on your list, or you feel as though one of the ones you’ve chosen is getting a little tired, you can go back to your list and switch them out. A few affirmations for every goal is a great place to start, and it feels manageable 

1. Organize your affirmations

A good way to make sure that you stick with your affirmations is to keep them organized. Find a place that’s best for you to keep them, something accessible that you’ll have ready when you need them. Some ideas could be the notes on your phone, sticky notes on your bathroom window, or a nice notebook that you could keep in your bag or in your room. Picking a time that works best for you to practice these affirmations also keeps you organized. There is no perfect time to say them, so find a time that works best with your schedule! Some people like to do it as soon as they wake up, others right before they go to bed.

Creating and practicing affirmations has always helped me when I am trying to make goals for myself and keep my daily life on track. I hope this is something that can help you too!

Kyra is a senior at Lasell University and is an elementary education major. She loves to hike, bake, and work with her students at daycare.