How to Survive Friendsgiving on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Fall is the ultimate season to eat good food, enjoy the festivities, and most importantly, spend time with your family.  Here at Her Campus Lasell, we’ve curated the ultimate guide on how to absolutely *crush* this Thanksgiving season, from how to perfectly decorate your dorm for the holiday, cooking tips and tricks for the holiday, and the importance of giving back. 

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and you know what that means? Friendsgiving is also around the corner! It’s one of those special traditions that college students really come to love and appreciate. Making food with your friends, sitting down to eat, and just hanging out is a memory you’ll always treasure. But, buying foods to cook for Friendsgiving can also be expensive. That’s why I’m here. Here are some budget-friendly meal ideas to celebrate with your friends.

1. Although turkey is the most important part of any Thanksgiving meal, you can substitute it with a ready-made rotisserie chicken. 

2. Mashed potatoes and gravy are pretty important too. You can buy the boxed-one you make on your own. If you want to make it a little fancier, add some shredded cheddar cheese or chives on top. To complete it, just find some gravy that you microwave. Easy peasy! 

3. Green bean casserole is my go-to at Friendsgiving. It’s also always one of the first things to go! Here’s the recipe I follow every year.

4. You’re definitely going to need some bread to go with your meal. Buying pre-made rolls in the frozen section is super easy. All you have to do is pop them in the oven and pair it with butter. 

5. Dessert is a must. Whether you get something ready-made from the bakery or bake it on your own, having a dessert to go with the after-dinner conversation is necessary. You can purchase some ready-made cookies or cupcakes, make ice cream sundaes, or you can try pumpkin doughnut muffins. YES, PUMPKIN DOUGHNUT MUFFINS. These are simple and easy to make. Check out this go-to recipe here

Gabriela Giubilo is a senior at Lasell College. She is majoring in Event Management with a minor in Psychology. She loves to read, watch tv, spend lots of time on Tumblr, and hang out with friends in family. She just completed a semester abroad in Queensland, Australia. Her goal is to work as an event designer and move to LA.