Career

How to Successfully Sell Your Items Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Selling online is a great way to get rid of usable things that you no longer need or want, and it’s also environmentally friendly; it keeps unwanted items out of landfills.  There are many outlets from which you can sell things, such as eBay, Poshmark, and Facebook Marketplace.  I’ve started selling some of my things online recently, and here’s what I’ve learned:

Describe the item in detail

When you shop in-store or online, you likely don’t put items into your cart randomly.  You assess features such as the function and size before deciding to buy something (even if it’s an impulse buy, you probably do it unconsciously). People looking to buy things second-hand from sites such as eBay or Facebook Marketplace want to do the same.  The simplest way to do this is labeling the item based on what category most people would put it in (e.g. “clothing”, “furniture”, “toys”).

Beyond that, though, be sure to include the color, size (use as many dimensions as are applicable, including length, width, depth, and/or height), what pieces or accessories it comes with if there are multiple, function, and condition.  Take photos of the item from all angles for your listing, and be prepared to show additional photos or videos to potential buyers.

Price the item based on what you paid and the condition

There’s no hard-and-fast rule for pricing used items; however, a dress you’ve worn once will likely sell for a higher fraction of the original price than will a coffee table that’s been dinged and scratched.    Generally, an item that is “like new” should be sold for 50% of the list price, an item in “good” condition should sell for 30%, and for 10% if it’s in fair condition.  Check the policies of the site you’re selling on to figure out what constitutes each.  For example, the dress you’ve worn once would probably be considered “like new”, so if you paid $60 for it, you can ask $30 for it.  

Be open to negotiation but don’t be a pushover

People will haggle.  They will try to pay a lower price than what you listed.  It can be tempting to agree to take a lower price for an item that you’re desperately hoping to get rid of, but there’s a big difference between someone wanting to pay $8 for a $10 item and someone wanting to pay $5 for a $30 item.  Recently I had to put my foot down when someone asked if they could get an item I’d listed for $20 for $6.  That’s too heavy of a discount!  I told them that the lowest price I’d take was $15, and they passed on it, but at least they didn’t get away with getting something for ¼ of the price.  Don’t be afraid to set minimums, but also realize that a few dollars don’t make a big difference when it comes to selling second-hand items.

Cristina is a senior elementary education major at Lasell. She loves black labs, iced coffee, and reviewing every product that she has ever purchased.  When she's not freaking out about how many lesson plans that she has to write, she can usually be found with her nose in a historical fiction novel, listening to a true crime podcast, or taking pictures.