How NOT to Clash Heads with Your Family Members During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

One thing I’ve found over the years is my family clashes heads all the time when we’ve been around each other for long periods of time. Someone always ends up being sassy or fighting with another family member. Especially my siblings and I. I have two other siblings in my house full time and I think we fight as often as other siblings do. However, it’s been more so since quarantine has happened. With me being home from college and not working at my job I normally do when I’m home and them not being at school either. There’s not a lot of things to do to escape each other as there are not many places to go unless you need essentials. However, for them, they can’t drive anywhere. They can take a walk and that’s about it. Our own rooms are kind of our safe haven at this moment at a time, and even that can be bombarded at any moment by any of us. So I have a few tips on how not to clash heads with your family members. One being, don’t overdue one activity for so long. If you do one thing for hours, there’s eventually going to be some tension if someone is over the activity. So do things in small doses of time. As well as making sure to take turns of doing activities that people like. Not every family member is going to like the same activities and wants to do them every single day. Make sure to change things up here and there. Another tip is to be understanding of one another. Think about how the pandemic has disrupted your daily schedule and that it’s not yours it has thrown off. Not everyone is going to have a good day and it’s good to check in on your family members to make sure they’re doing okay. A final tip is to have at least one meal a day together so you can talk about your plans for the day or what you did. It’s good to have healthy conversations during this time and to get people interaction instead of eating alone in your room for every meal. Also, remember to just be present and enjoy this time with your family cause soon you’ll miss it when school, work, and other responsibilities start back up again.

Kaylee Bickford is a Junior at Lasell University studying psychology. She is also a member of Class Committee as the Junior Class Treasurer and CAB. A few fun facts about her are; she absolutely loves sloths, obsessed with her birthday, and Christmas is her favorite holiday. Her instagram can be found at @kaylee_bickford.