This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Online classes can be very hard for people, as many students feel they learn better in an actual classroom environment. When colleges shut down in March, everyone was forced to finish the semester online. We were able to get a look into how we fit in that structure individually, and were able to make a sound decision as to if it was better for us to go back in the fall or complete the semester remotely. Even residents on campus, such as myself, still have classes online while at school, depending on the comfort level of the professor. While I was doing online classes last semester, I was able to learn some tips and tricks that helped me keep my grades up in a new environment. 

1. Attend every Zoom meeting: Although we may not like waking up and logging onto zoom, it is crucial to do so to be able to fully grasp the knowledge being shared in the class and to get the most out of the semester. Make yourself some coffee or a quick breakfast to fuel up and be ready for the start of class. 

2. Take notes: Make sure to take as many notes as you can. You can go back to them when you are confused about doing an assignment, and it also makes it easier to study and ace exams.

3. Ask for help: Your professor is there to answer all questions and help you out, so do not be afraid to ask when you are confused. You can ask during Zoom class, send and email, or even schedule a one-on-one Zoom call if the class or a topic is becoming very hard for you to grasp. 

4. Participate: Participating in class can help you gain extra points, but also allows you to get a better understanding of the course material by actually engaging in it with your peers and professors. 

5. Make time: Some classes are not going to be doing Zoom calls, they will be asynchronous, which means that you do the work on your own time and hand it in, as well as engage in lectures on your own, which some students find to be much harder. My advice is to use the time scheduled for your class to actually work on that class. This will help you to stay on track of your work and be able to focus on the subject. 

Being online can be difficult for some students, but taking time to work on each class and focus is key to ensuring success. Without these things, it can be easy to fall behind and struggle through the semester, so work hard and it will be a breeze!

Anna Wall

Lasell '22

Lasell University Event Management Student, Class of 2022. She loves llamas, event planning, and country music :)