How to Get a Job After Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

We all ask the question, how do we get a job right out of college? I’ve heard many mixed reviews. I have heard of people getting jobs before graduation, right after, or not for months or even a year after leaving college. Everyone’s situation is different, and it does depend on major and degree, location, when you apply, etc. But, the question is, how exactly can we find jobs right after we leave college? Here are some tips we found that should help in the job hunt.

1. Planning

Do you have an idea of where you want to be or what you want to do after college? Planning is a huge key to success. You may not have all the answers now, but even figuring things out such as where you want to live after college if you are moving, or an idea of what kind of positions you want to apply to job-wise can make all the difference in slowly planning how you will find a job. Even just thinking about and writing down a few plans and backups can help you to not stress so much the last month of school.

2. Experience

Experience can make all the difference on your resume and the decision between you and someone else getting the job position you apply for. Why is it annoying to always hear that internships are important? Because they are. A great thing about Lasell is that we all have to complete at least one, if not more, internships. This is a great experience not only for yourself, but to see if you actually like the field and environment that you will be working in after college. It’s great to get a first-hand look at the kind of place and kind of things you will be doing in your career before you are actually thrown out into the real work field.  

3. Apply to All

Applying to positions, even those you don’t know if you are fully qualified for or have the experience for, can be a life saver when it comes to getting a job. Even if you do not have all the qualifications, applying to a job can still be worth it because the employer may find something important or unique on your resume that other people do not have. Also, the worst thing that can happen is the employer saying ‘no you didn’t get that job,’ so it is worth it to apply to everything you are interested in as long as you have some minimal requirements they are looking for.

4. Be Unique

What differentiates you from someone else applying to the same job? This is something to think about when you have to start looking for jobs. Why will an employer hire you over another person? Thinking about unique skills, traits, or talents that you have that could contribute to your personal future career can make all the difference, especially in jobs that look for creative thinkers and innovators.

5. Try Not to Stress Too Much!

Sounds a lot easier than it is but, stressing can seriously be the worst thing to do when trying to find a job. Obviously it is stressful, but taking your time applying and taking some time away from constantly applying and filling out papers can do your mental and emotional health a favor. If everything seems to be going wrong, take a break, relax, and de-stress yourself. Everything works itself out when finding a job and you will find one in time.

Good Luck!!

I am a junior Fashion Merchandising student from Stamford, CT. I have been writing for Her Campus since the beginning of spring semester, and am on the field hockey team, in the mini and Undergrad fashion shows,participate in Relay for Life yearly and Lasell's Senior Citizen's Prom,  and am a peer writing tutor in the AAC. At home I work at an ice rink and am a camp counselor for kids teaching hockey lessons, which is one of my favorite sports. I like working out, writing, listening to music, and going into Boston whenever I can.