How to Avoid Stressing During the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

College can bring on amazing opportunities, experiences and relationships, but it can also bring on substantial amounts of stress. Between academics, clubs, work, and social obligations, it’s easy for responsibilities to get lost in the shuffle. If you’re feeling overwhelmed or like you just can’t catch a break, here are some tips on how to get back on track this semester.

1. Keep a Calendar

Whether it’s on your phone, computer, or in a physical planner (my favorite Lilly Pulitzer ones are shown above), it is imperative for your sanity that you keep a calendar. Planners can keep you accountable for due dates, events, and meetings that occupy your busy life, and seeing everything laid out for the week/month can help you tackle tasks in an organized fashion.

1. Write It Down

Making to-do lists sounds silly, but it can really aid in productivity. The important piece here is to keep it realistic. Writing down that you’re going to finish an entire research paper won’t magically make that task possible. Spacing out larger assignments/tasks into smaller, achievable chunks can allow you to finish them with ease. In addition, writing it in list form serves as a reminder to get it done, reducing the amount of items that slip through the cracks when things start to get busy. Plus, crossing items off your list is an amazing feeling!

1. Know Your Limits

As previously mentioned, attempting to finish a sizeable task like a final project or midterm paper in one fell swoop is not realistic. Even if the task is completed in one go, it won’t receive the same amount of energy or commitment compared to if it was completed over a period of time. If you can tell you aren’t putting your all into something or if your mind is preoccupied, take a break. You’ll be able to return to the work with a fresh mind and restored energy.

1. Keep a Clean Space

Keeping your room or work area clean is essential for keeping your stress at bay. A clean room opens your mind, allowing you to better focus on assignments. Organizing your desk and cleaning up clutter will surprisingly renew your outlook and leave you feeling refreshed.

1. Take Care of Yourself

In addition to caring for your space, caring for your body can improve your mindset. Finding a physical activity you enjoy, such as going to the gym, participating in a team/intramural sport, or even just walking around campus can give you a break from whatever is stressing you out. Combining this activity with drinking plenty of water, getting enough sleep, and eating right will allow you to stay productive and avoid wearing yourself down.

1. Get Ahead When You Can

Though it’s not as fun as taking a nap or binge-watching your favorite show, it’s best to get ahead on assignments when you have the chance. Even just doing smaller homework assignments after dinner or writing a piece of a paper in between classes can even out your workload, and keep you from pulling your hair out when due dates near.

Victoria is a sophomore studying Fashion and Retail Merchandising at Lasell College. She loves watching TV, travelling around Boston, and most of all, Jennifer Lopez.
Madi is a sophomore Fashion Communciations major at Lasell College. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is also a part of Empty Bowls and is a Peer Mentor. She loves Harry Styles, hanging out with friends, and thrift shopping.