This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Most of the time when we see models in advertisements, they are very thin and flawless looking. The photos of these models are also often altered to make the models appear to be perfect in a way that is almost inhuman. They can give us the idea that we have to look a certain way to be beautiful.

The #AerieREAL campaign is changing the modeling game by showcasing real women and their bodies. Aerie originally launched this campaign in 2014 and it has continued to grow since then. The company has been dedicated to displaying models of all different backgrounds, ages, body types, and even disabilities.

Growing up, I never saw myself represented in media. I have Type 1 Diabetes, and have been wearing an insulin pump for the majority of my life and recently started wearing a CGM (continuous glucose monitor). I was so excited when I saw that Aerie has a model who not only has Type 1 Diabetes, but also wears her Insulin pump and CGM on full view in her photos. It can be hard to be confident when you have to wear medical equipment or you don’t look like the models that you see in magazines, but seeing a positive representation of people you can relate to can make you feel more confident.

Aerie has had models with vitiligo, wheelchairs, crutches, colostomy and many more. This campaign is showing women that they are beautiful just the way they are and they do not need to look like models on magazine covers to love their bodies.

(Photos: Aerie.com)

M D

Lasell '21

Lasell College student
Madi is a sophomore Fashion Communciations major at Lasell College. In addition to being a part of Her Campus, she is also a part of Empty Bowls and is a Peer Mentor. She loves Harry Styles, hanging out with friends, and thrift shopping.