This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

February is a great month because not only does it have Valentine’s Day but it is also designated as Black History Month. Even though it is only 28 days long, there is more than enough of Black history to honor for much longer than that. Hence the widely used phrase, “Every month is Black History month.”

So, for 2023, here are some extraordinary wins that occurred for African-Americans:

1. Rihanna Performing at the Super Bowl LVII Halftime Show

Rihanna gifted us with a show-stopping performance during the Super Bowl halftime show. She announced she was performing on September 25, 2022, through an Instagram post of her holding a football. This broke the internet since one of the best music artists was returning from her long hiatus from music. Then, on February 12, she appeared on millions of screens in a red outfit, opening with B*tch Better Have My Money, and announcing her pregnancy with baby number two. It was iconic and yet another win during Black History Month.

1. Lizzo wins the Grammy for Record of the Year

Lizzo’s album, “About Damn Time”, won the well-deserved Grammy for Record of the Year. Her album was running against other well-known nominees such as BREAK MY SOUL by Beyonce, Woman by Doja Cat, Easy on Me by Adele, and others. So, to see a high-achieving Black woman win this award is very rewarding. Also, a handful of other Black artists were nominated for this award, which is another win in itself.

1. Actress Angela Bassett Receiving Her Flowers

Angela Bassett has been a big name in the film and tv-show industry since her first TV debut in 1985 and film debut in 1986. She is also known for her remarkable performance as Tina Turner in the movie, What’s Love Got to Do With It. So, in February she won the NAACP Image Award for Entertainer of the Year, Best Supporting Actress for the Golden Globes and Crtic’s Choice Award, the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress, the Costume Designers Guild Award for the LACOSTE Spotlight Award, and the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture, all this found through a quick Google search. 

Moreover, these are not the only wins for Black celebrities and people alike during the month of February. However, these do add to the progressive journey that African Americans have been through in the United States, that honors the hard work of our ancestors who fought for us to have places in settings such as award shows and the Super Bowl. This goes to say, “Every month is Black History Month.”

Hi! My name is Celeste and I am currently a senior, majoring in Health Science at Lasell University. On campus, I am involved in a variety of clubs such as HerCampus, the Student Government Association as the VP of Academics, the Campus Activities Board, and the Knitting Club. Also, I intern at a health center as a patient resource advocate and I work at the IT Help Desk on my campus. In my spare time, my favorite things to do are read, watch videos or movies, and sit and chat with my friends!