Life > Experiences

Hidden Gems In Boston For College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

When I first came to Lasell, I didn’t really know what to expect. Covid was obviously a thing and I had never lived in, or near, a major city like Boston. So, I did what I do best and explored the area. As a junior in college now, I feel like I’ve found the best hole-in-the-wall places in Boston that have basically saved my boring ass life. From makeup to groceries and even restaurants, here are some of my favorite hidden gems of Boston. 

Restaurants: 

Kimchipapi Kitchen

81 Harvard Ave, Allston, MA 02134 

This restaurant is probably best known for its Korean Corndogs. This savory sweet street food should be on everyone’s bucket list to try. They also have poke bowls, spam musubi, and many other street food items that literally melt on your tongue. They are located on Harvard Ave, a bustling area in Boston near Boston University.

Spring Shabu Shabu

304 Western Ave, Boston, MA 02135

This restaurant has a very “instagramable” scenery. Specializing in hot pot, Spring Shabu Shabu is a buffet-style hot pot restaurant that has been a popular pick for many college students in the area. This is because this restaurant will make you full for such a cheap price. From my experience, it had cost me $35 for not only a fun experience with my friends but for some of the most delicious food I’ve ever had. However, I will warn you that the wait time for this restaurant is usually 30 minutes to an hour as it has become more viral on foodie TikTok. Anyone who has eaten hot pot before will tell you that this is probably the cheapest option on the market and is the best option to introduce Asian food to people who have never had any. 

Five Spices House

58 Beach St #2017, Boston, MA 02111

This small business located near the front of the Chinatown Gate is probably my favorite little place to go to. They have a multitude of different dishes inspired by many Asian cultures such as Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, and many more. Definitely would recommend it for people who want a more homely experience.

Los Amigos Taqueria

335 Walnut St, Newton, MA 02460

One of my favorite Chipotle alternatives. This restaurant specializes in authentic Hispanic/Latinx flavors into a delicious burrito bowl. They also offer different cultural drinks and snacks such as horchata, churros, and flan. I love coming here with friends because it reminds me of the food I get when I’m back home. One bite from this place and you’ll be hooked.

Shopping: 

Tao’s 

141 Harvard Ave, Allston, MA 02134

35 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA 02111

Tao’s is an Asian beauty store that sells makeup and skincare that’s imported from different countries in Asia. I found this store while on my way to Kimchipapi Kitchen and immediately had to stop there. As a self-proclaimed makeup connoisseur, I wanted to try makeup from different countries to compare longevity to makeup available in the states. This store has become one of my favorite stores to go to for those products. They also have many knick-knacks from brands like Sanrio and snacks from Asia as well.

Ritual Arts

153 Harvard Ave, Allston, MA 02134

This store is for those who are into spirituality and different forms of expression. The selection of crystals and tarot cards is out of this world and the atmosphere of this shop is very calming. For those who are practicing witchcraft, Brujeria, spiritualism, or even just into the art of crystal healing, there is a place for you here. They offer a wide range of informational books and descriptions for your crystals upon purchase. Not to mention, the owner’s adorable kitty that greets the customers upon entrance. 

I love anything makeup, hair, and fashion and I love meeting new people!