Wellness > Sex + Relationships

HC Lasell’s Guide on How to Make Long Distance Relationships Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

In a long distance relationship? Maybe this your first semester being away from each other? Here are my tips on to make it work.

Facetime

Video chatting is so much better than texting. This Modern Age makes having a long distance relationship easier with seeing the other person through your phone or laptop. It helps makes missing them easier. 

Quality Communication

Do not just constantly text. Jokes can be taken wrong over a text, trying to explain yourself over text can go wrong, arguments do not get solved over text. You need to call each other, to communicate clearly. Again, like I said, calling or video chatting also makes missing them easier. It is nice to hear each other’s voices, and even see each other. 

Send Each Other a Letter or Little Gift

Not saying you must do this all the time, but it is nice to receive a random letter or gift in the mail as a surprise in the middle of your hectic week. 

Prioritize in Your Schedules

Different work or school schedules, sleep preferences, and time zones can all wreak havoc on even the most well-intentioned couples when it comes to making time for communicating with each other. So, make specific time for each other in your schedule pretty soon in the relationship. Understand that things come up, be flexible, and understand you aren’t their only priority. 

Trust

This is one of the most important factors in making any relationship last. The work to build and keep trust goes both ways, with your earning it being every bit as important as having it in your partner. 

See it as an Opportunity

View it as a learning journey for the both of you. See it as a test of your love for each other. Instead of thinking that this long distance relationship is pulling you two apart, you should believe that through this experience, the both of you will be bound together even stronger.

Plan Trips to See Each other

Visits are the highlight of every long distance relationship. After all the waiting it is nice when you finally get to see each other and spend some quality time together. 

I am no relationship expert or counselor, but I hope these tips help make dating long distance a little easier.

Emalee is a Senior at Lasell University and the President of Her Campus Lasell. She is currently a Campus Community Management Intern for Her Campus! She is a Fashion Merchandising and Management major and a Communications minor. Besides Her Campus, she is the President of Newman Society, loves taking photos, going for hikes, and going to the beach.