HC Lasell’s Guide on How to Do Room Selection Right

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Now that the year is heading to a close, it is time to start thinking about next year, and if you live on campus during the year, one of the things we have to do is pick our rooms and roommates for next semester. This can be a difficult task, but following these steps can make it an easy process: 

1. Pick a roommate you feel comfortable with 

Sometimes, rooming with friends can be a great idea, while other times, it can be a major flop. When choosing a roommate, choose someone who has similar thoughts as you on things such as how late you stay up, cleanliness, having people in the room, etc. This way you both feel comfortable and living together can be not only fun but also be a breeze!

2. Pick the type of housing you want to live in 

At Lasell, we have many different types of housing opportunities. They include contemporary, traditional, suites, and victorian houses. There are also themed dorms, for students who prefer gender-neutral, wellness, social justice, and quiet study living options. Choosing which of these is right for you allows you to really focus on what type of environment you want to live in, so when it comes time for room draw, you know where you want to live. Discuss these different options with your roommate, so that you both are on the same page. 

3. Look at floor plans ahead of time 

Once you know what type of living situation you want, you can start looking at floor plans. This allows you to see all the available rooms that you can live in, so you can know which ones you can choose from. 

4. Have the roommate with the lowest room draw time pick the room 

When you are given your time for when you can select your room, compare it with your roommate and see who has the earliest time. This person should be the one to pick the room because you will have the most options at this time and more of a chance to get the dorm you want. 

5. Go onto room draw early

At Lasell, we are allowed to go into the room draw before our time, so we can see what’s available. This allows you to see if the room you want has already been taken and restrategize if that has happened. 

6. Have multiple options

Having multiple options for both dorm buildings and rooms makes the room draw process way easier for you and your roommate. This way, if the one you really wanted is not available, you are still satisfied with your pick. 

These different tips and tricks will help you land the perfect room during your room draw!

Anna Wall

Lasell '22

Lasell University Event Management Student, Class of 2022. She loves llamas, event planning, and country music :)