This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

On the last Thursday of every November, people celebrate, thanks to the Pilgrims and Natives gathering over a feast. Thanksgiving tends to be a favorite for some people specifically for sports, gratitude, and especially the meal. It’s traditionally done with family with a variety of food, usually consisting of green bean casserole, bread, cranberry sauce, corn, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and the centerpiece, turkey. A great selection for dinner, however, if you’re someone like me or my step-sister, pescatarian, and vegetarian, Thanksgiving can be dreadful. Having to pick and choose what we can eat rather than just being able to get a little bit of everything is frustrating and quite the opposite of feeling understood. 

I wanted to create a list of suggestions to replace the traditional turkey with vegetarian or pescetarian-friendly options for folks who relate.

A favorite of mine is a Maple and Brown Sugar Glaze Salmon as the main dish. It’s sugary, slightly salty, and savory, the three best flavors all in one! The glaze makes the salmon moist, and the brown sugar complements the barely-there salty salmon. 

Another to try is using portobello mushrooms and stuffing them! Introducing, Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with a spinach and artichoke filling. The zestiness of the classic dip goes amazingly with the herbiness and savoriness of the mushroom top. 

One last recommendation would be another stuffed main course, a Stuffed Squash Spaghetti Parm. A classic combination of pasta and starch never gets old! Plus, you can never go wrong with cheese.

I hope you enjoyed and tried out those recipes!

She/they LGBTQ+ Lasell '26 Graphic Design Major