photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

A Guide to Surviving the Thanksgiving Meal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lasell chapter.

Thanksgiving is coming! For some it can be the holiday they’ve been looking forward to. Perhaps, you only see certain family members on this day, or your favorite dish is only served on this occasion. But, for a large number of individuals, a holiday of this nature brings great stress and turmoil. According to studies done by the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA), “an estimated 20 million women and 10 million men in America will have an eating disorder at some point in their lives.” Not only are individuals who are suffering affected, but their loved ones also take on some of their inner strife. The following list of tips and tricks to “surviving” can be used for anyone in almost any situation. If you can see someone who is struggling, don’t hesitate to suggest something to help, they’ll have an easier time getting through the meal and thank you for it in the end.

1. Find out what will be served and figure out what you will be comfortable eating, still making sure to get all exchanges in (being sneaky won’t help you in the end).

2. Sit with a trusted person to keep you calm and accountable if you start to go down a rabbit hole. This is a major key.

3. Motivate. Be sure to set up a reward or something to look forward to after the meal. A little push may be helpful for this particular one.

4. Play verbal table games (Celebrity, Contact and the Letter Game are all good choices) or tell jokes at the table to keep the mood light and distract you, not from the task at hand, but from the inner voice making it difficult. Sometimes if we’re distracted we tend to eat without thinking about it.

5. Just try to have fun (easier said than done, I know). Try to invest yourself in the present moment, this way it is less likely for the anxiety to set in.

It’ll be over before you know it and this is where the real fun starts. Don’t forget to snag the Black Friday deals and get a head start on those holiday gifts!